Tractor won't move

/ Tractor won't move #1  

tnbowhunter

Bronze Member
Tractor
YM 2220D
The weather finally warmed up enough to disc the garden this weekend. After sitting all Winter I was a little anxious about "Marvin" starting. I put the fully charged battery on and turned the key. To my amazement old Marv started right up!! I let him warm up for a few minuites, put him in reverse, let out the clutch...............nothing. Checked to make sure the power shift was in gear [it was] tried again.............nothing. Hmmm, I thought this is strange!!!! I put the gear selector in 1st gear and again let out the clutch and away we go. I disced the garden with many starts and stops with no more problems. The next morning I thought I would try again and the same scenario. After several tries it finally budged and ran great.

Now I'm wondering what might be the problem. I checked the fluids and they were all at the full mark. I'm thinking now it might possible be the hydraulic filter or screen. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!!

/ Tractor won't move #2  
Fluid and filter/screen would be my first thought as well. It sounds like the fluid has to warm up a bit before it will flow well enough to operate.

/ Tractor won't move #3  
replace the filter and clean the screen. what fluid are you using, JD303 or mercon. if the filter/screen does not work let us know and we will give the next things to check.

/ Tractor won't move #4  
Hey Bow Hunter

I have used mercon dextron ATF in my Yanmars since the 90s, and they work flawlessly !

When we receive our tractors from Japan they usually have ATF in the trannys if they are a power shift .

They warm up faster, and ATF has a lot of detergent to keep everything clean inside the trans.

It works for us.:D

/ Tractor won't move #5  
My tractor had bad fluid in the trans when I bought it.......actually I had water in it due to a bad filler cap and it hadn't been changed for a long time. I couldn't get it to engage in any gear. I cleaned screen, changed filter and replaced fluid with dextron 3 ATF......once started....it took a minute to get through the system but once it did......everything works fine. All gears work well. Just make sure the filter you put on is the proper micron level......some aftermarket filters are in the 30 micron range......this may be too thick to actually filter the oil. In this case....the oil just passes through the by-pass.....and your oil is not filtered. I believe the proper micron level is in the 10 range. You can buy these thru Hoye.....there may even be an aftermarket available. I plan to eventually replace my oil with JD 303 but for now........the Dextron works fine.

/ Tractor won't move
Thanks for all the replys guys. I have had my tractor for two years now and this is the first issue I have had with it. I will have to admit that I did not change the Tranny fluid or filter last year as I probably should have. I did change the oil and filter and I always grease all the fittings etc. though. I did check the transmission fluid and it did look good, not milky, dirty etc but I should of spent the time and money and changed it anyway. I did notice it was just a little low one time last year and I topped it off with JD 303 which I thought was the correct fluid. Now i'm a little confused.............should I change it to dextron ATF? It does sound like it would work better and keep everything inside the transmission clean.
It will probably be this weekend before I can work on my tractor but I will let everyone know how it goes.
Thanks again!!!!

/ Tractor won't move #7  
when you clean your screen you will loose most of your fluid, I would change to mercon at that time. Like Ernie said the tractors from Japan with power shift seem to always have auto trans fluid in them.

/ Tractor won't move #8  
I have a 1510D with Dextron. It works great for me and I had no problems this past winter like I had the year before. I did have a problem that sometimes it would not like to go in reverse when it was cold. My shifter is on the tunnel and not on the column like the 2220. I took it apart today and found what I believe is the problem. Where the shift lever attaches to the shift spool there is a 5 mm x 25 mm pin. I found that my pin was bent and worn. I replaced the pin with a hard bolt and it seems to be fine now. I think that the shifter spool was not being put completely into the detent position for reverse, because the lever had too much slop and could not move far enough. When it is warm it seemed to self locate the detent position. Any way it works for me.

Mike

/ Tractor won't move #9  
Hey Bow Hunter

I have used mercon dextron ATF in my Yanmars since the 90s, and they work flawlessly !

When we receive our tractors from Japan they usually have ATF in the trannys if they are a power shift .

They warm up faster, and ATF has a lot of detergent to keep everything clean inside the trans.

It works for us.:D

Ernie, how can you tell what is in there? I bought my Ym2000B right out of the shipping container 9 years ago, changed the coal black engine oil, and backflushed the rice paddy water from the system, but have never had any reason to mess with the hy/tran fluid. I don't know what JD303 looks like, but it does have the reddish translucent color of ATF.

/ Tractor won't move #10  
I don't know what JD303 looks like, but it does have the reddish translucent color of ATF.

I changed my fluid last summer and the JD303 I used was the color of honey. What came out looked like milky honey.