Counter rotating brush hog

/ Counter rotating brush hog #1  

SteveM

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100DT
I am new to this part of tractorbynet - and I like it over here!

I currently have a 78 Kubota B6000E US model, which seems to be exactly like the 4-digit Yanmars you folks describe: 2cyl, thermo-siphon cooling, man trans, 3 spd pto, etc. I love my odd little tractor, except that it has a reverse-rotation PTO. I have a belly finish mower, but would like a brush hog. This leaves me two options:

1) Does anyone know where i could get a reverse rotation rotary mower?

2) Could I turn the cutting blade around and run a normal mower backwards?

Thanks so much for your help - my next tractor will probably be a Yanmar with a loader - if I could only find one in Upstate NY!

/ Counter rotating brush hog #2  
You might try posting on the Mitsubishi forum. The older S370 Mitsubishi Beaver also turned ccw. Seems like they have a source for implements, but I could be mistaken!

/ Counter rotating brush hog #3  
Good luck finding one . I have a Mitsubishi tractor and visit and post on the mitsubishi forum daily . I HAD an S-370 with the reverse rotation PTO and could not find a single implement that would run backwards .I ended up trading it to one of the dealers here . I have been told that Kubota made a PTO reverser that bolted on to the rear pto shaft on the back of the tractor but discontinued it because of the safety factor (PTO shield). If you are very lucky you might find one in a salvage yard some where but they are not sold through dealers any more . If you are that lucky , you better play the lottery !!!!!!! I hope you find one . There are quite a few people who have Mitsubishi's that would like one too . Might call Anna at Southern Global Tractor , she is the one who told me that such a thing exists . She thought that someone else was manufacturing one but I have not been sucessfull in finding them . Let us know if you find one . Thanks

/ Counter rotating brush hog #4  
This information may not help but International Harvester manufactured a small tractor known as the Farmall Cub from 1948 through the mid 70's. The cub had a counter rotating pto shaft. International made several implements for this tractor. You may try a Case International dealer to see if they can be of any help.

/ Counter rotating brush hog #5  
I wonder what would happen if you had the back of the bush hog blades sharpened and just ran it backwards (reverse rotation)?

Chris

/ Counter rotating brush hog #6  
I think Wengers of Myerstown, who are a big used farm equipment dealer and dismantler, have some expertize in the old farmall cubs and their attachments.They have a lot of cubs and attachments on their lot.<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wengers.com/>http://www.wengers.com/</A>

Chris

/ Counter rotating brush hog #7  
Just a thought: buy an old junk brush hog, take off the gear box to expose the drive shaft, mount an automotive differential on top, attach the axel to the drive shaft of the brush hog & hook the differential drive shaft up to the PTO. You could make it turn either way depending on which side of the differential axel you attached to the brush hog.....

/ Counter rotating brush hog #8  
Mounting the blades upside down would change the cut angle ( angled up, as opposed to down angle ). Also, some of the larger blades are offset down.. that would be a problem. Perhaps, if they are already hosed blades.. as someone else suggested, what's the worst that could happen sharpening the back of the blade? Anyone have any idea what this would do? Sounds safer/easier that a rube-goldberg reverse direction gearbox gadget... though would be neat to see one /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Soundguy

/ Counter rotating brush hog #9  
My guess is that the blades could loosen and fly off. Isn't equipment designed to rotate backwards also threaded with left hand threads?

/ Counter rotating brush hog #10  
Ford made brush hogs that had bidirectional gearboxes and blades. I have a few customers that run King Kutters with reverse rotation and they work great, I don't sell them that way it is the customer’s choice to use it like that. There is no one in the US manufacturing PTO reversers anymore. I built a prototype a little while ago and sent it out for production still waiting for a decent bid $ before I have them built. I do have the 18mm 21 spline to 1"3/8 6 spline adapters though if you have the small shaft also like the Mitsu, Satoh and Suzue have. Have fun.