Springy Seat

/ Springy Seat #1  

Inspector507

Someone over at the *old* Yahoo Club said he uses old auto valve springs under his Yanmar seat to give it a little bounce. Not having any valve springs around, I stopped at the local military surplus dealer. He had just what I was looking for. I mounted them under the replacement seat for a little bit of spring when mowing.

Attachments

• 49-185517-P8180049.JPG
    49-185517-P8180049.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 176
   / Springy Seat #2  
I did a similar thing using tapered exhaust manifold springs that you can find hanging on the rack in most autoparts stores. Just fit them right inside the existing rubber bumpers, and to protect the seat and make it look really profesional you can cut the bottom 1/4" off a pair of the proper size "rubber feet", I think they were 1 1/8", and fit them over the ends of the springs. I don't have access to my tractor right now or I would post a picture.

/ Springy Seat #3  
I was planning on doing the same thing, but the front hinge weld broke, I tried to reweld it but to no avail. At my local NAPA dealer they were selling a tractor seat that I was able to mount on my 2310. It has two springs as well as a shock absorber. It also includes a back rest, and arm rests. I don't think it would fit a 1500- 1600 size, but 2000 and up it should be no problem. I had to drill new mounting holes and discard the old Yanmar mounts, but now I have a really confortable seat and mowing the field is even more pleasent.

/ Springy Seat #4  
I was the one on the Yahoo club that posted. Yours looks exactly like the way I do it. It really makes a difference. I have to do some other modifications to the newer models so the seat doesn't hit the metal around the draft control arm.

/ Springy Seat #6  
I also put springs under the seat of mine. I had an old lawn tractor laying around that had springs under the seat. They bolted on without any problem,and what a difference they made compared to the stock rubber bumpers.

Reid

/ Springy Seat
Reid,
I looked at my lawn tractor and thought about ordering them from Sears, but the ones military surplus worked great. The Sears spring may have been a little easier to mount but, these work.

Jerry