Oil & Fuel Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar)

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #1  

kh99

My best local options (Advance Auto, O'Reilly's) for price are:
Purolator Classic $3.49 AA
Microguard $3.49 OR
Fram Double Guard $3.99 AA
Motorcraft $3.99 AA, OR
WIX $5.69 OR
Purolator Pure One $6.49 AA​
I've read that Fram have poor back-flow prevention (increase start-up wear)
and that they can come apart & plug up screen / pump;
BUT, the guy at Advance Auto says that for tractors, everyone always buys Fram.
He didn't know why.

I've also read that some filters have too fine a filter size and are thus too restrictive to flow.
So of above options, what is the best for a diesel engine with diesel oil?
Any different from that for gas engine?

Purolator has a good reputation and I looked inside the Purolator Classic with a bright led light.
It looks like it has a good spring loaded anti back-flow valve (spot welded in place)
and the filter element is embedded in some kind of thick black sealant.

For oil, I'll be using the 15w-40 Valvoline Premium Blue Heavy Duty Diesel oil.
And ideas for rinsing out the oil pan (through the drain plug)?

Thanks

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #2  
I have used a WIX, (NAPA), for about 10 years, for no reason other than it fits; however an oil filter is an oil filter. Have never seen a bad one. No need to rinse the oil pan, just drain it hot.

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #3  
Oh man dont let Aron from Hoye see this one. I bought the three pack of Hoyes original equipment type filters. I was buying other things from him and the price was not much more than the Wix price and it is OE for these Jap tractors. Why chance it? I watched some vids on youtube of a guy who cut up oil filters and what the drian back valve and element and releive valve looked like. There was a huge difference in quality. Purolator and wix appear the best for the lower end filter. The fram use to have a metal releif valve which is now plastic ( i have heard and now seen myself that they are cheaper than they use to be, that video and a recent oil filter i bought for my car). I think twice about using them and still did but i saved 2-3 $ so i went for it cause orily did not have good price on purolator, or even carry them cant remember. Fram use to be my choice cause the grip. Advance brand has the grip, but mot sure who makes them, think maybe purolator, but i have been using a lot of purones b/c of the high quality filter and the grip on them. The older and more i know about things i now spend a few more dollars more for a quality filter, i change it so i can spend more on it and still come out cheaper than paying for one. Hey i can put mobil 1 in my toyota and pure 1 filter for the price of a cheap bargin oil change at a place like jiffylube.

Sorry for ramblin, i would buy purolator pure one if i was forced to buy from the list and then Wix. My first choice though is Hoyes filters that are made to the original specs with the right releife and the correct filter media.

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #4  
Lots of different opinions on filters. I had a tractor mechanic tell me to be sure the micron level is low enough to filter the oil. Some filters are too thick and your oil doesn't get properly filtered. I also buy the 3 pack from Hoye.....they're made for my tractor, they fit, they work and don't cost much more than the local stuff. I figure....why take a chance.....get the right filter!

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #5  
Not worth the risk so I only use Filters from a Yanmar Dealer. Hoye has there stuff to me in about a day.I tried the YM240 route And get 3 shipped cheaper than two from the JD dealer:p

carey

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #6  
WIX (NAPA Gold) gets my vote in most cases.

For flushing at min I pour in about 4 oz of motor oil and see what it chases out. I do this until it looks like new motor oil being poured in.

In all my gas/diesel engines I like to put in 1 oz of Seafoam per quart of oil and get one hour (total) or 50 miles of run time.

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #7  
Anybody know who makes Hoye's filters?

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #8  
Got my Last ones from Fredricks they were made in TAIWAN :confused:

/ Best Oil Filter For A Small Diesel Tractor (Yanmar) #10  
Thats why I use a dealer. One or the other I will check when I get out to it. I change mine Once a year after it's been sitting through the Winter. absolutly no problems what so ever. Even on the coldest start with the decompression count of 5 or 6 and the pressures up and the Light goes out :thumbsup:

Carey