GT14 starting issues

/ GT14 starting issues #1  

bxkubota

Silver Member
Tractor
BX25
I have a GT 14, probably around an '85 model that had some starting issues for the past several years. First the you have to turn the key on and off several times for the starter to engage, then I would have to tap the solenoid (top of starter) while turning the key to get the starter to turn. Now I have to jump the solenoid with a screwdriver to start the tractor.

I have replaced to the solenoid and don't want to keep replacing parts until I find the problem. Has anyone had any experience with this issue with their tractor. I does have safety switches under the seat. One shuts off the blades if you get off the seat and I am not sure what the other does. I have abandoned the tractor and would like to resurrect it.

/ GT14 starting issues #2  
When I bought my Yanmar one of the renovations it needed was a new ignition switch. The old one acted like you described, several attempts before it would engage the starter.

I cut the old one open and found it stuffed solid with dead pill bugs! The drain hole was just large enough for them to get in, then they likely couldn't find the exit. The switch contacts were fouled with smoked bug fragments.

For troubleshooting, I bypassed the switch with a mechanic's pushbutton remote starter. That started the tractor easily, so the problem had to be the switch.

/ GT14 starting issues #3  
California stated my opinion exactly.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

You can test it by just jumping the solenoid at the starter, if it always engages, then most definitely is the switch.

Mike

/ GT14 starting issues
Thanks for the input. I will give it a try and post with the results....

/ GT14 starting issues #5  
I'm probably wrong here, won't be the first time, but by jumping the solenoid aren't you by passing your safety switches. Seems they could be the problem. I know I've encounterd problems with them on riding mowers quite a few times.

/ GT14 starting issues #6  
Winston,

You are right--I forget that the GT14 is a glorified lawn tractor.:ashamed: However, the symptoms that he mentioned still sound to me like 100% ignition switch problem.

But let me clarify--If it engages every time when you jump it at the solenoid, then the problem is in the ignition switch circuit--switch and safety switches (I do not know the tractor, to know what kinds of safety elements that it might have--seat, clutch, pto, neutral, sometimes even on guard covers.)

You could further eliminate those as possible problems by jumping on the back of the starter switch, then if it engages every time--you have the culprit in your hand. :)

Mike