T-80 Crawler Tractor

/ T-80 Crawler Tractor #1  

Haoleguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325; Landini Mistral 50
Anybody familiar with these? This crawler tractor caught my eye as they have low ground pressure which is a benefit for vineyard use. The only other one which I'm familiar with is the New Holland which did not offer cab and I believe only steel shoes. When I punch in my location on the Yanmar site it shows no dealers in the northeast at this time. I take it this is a brand new tractor for Yanmar and the release is slow with west coast penetration first. Anyone in the east know if these will make it our way? If the price is competitive with wheeled tractors, and Yanmar provides strong dealership support, this has the potential to do well with eastern vineyards owners.....Gary

/ T-80 Crawler Tractor #2  
I see a dealer in N. Carolina and one in Canada about 20 miles from the Falls.

/ T-80 Crawler Tractor #3  
Price around $50k+.

Yanmar introduced them in Northern California and so far as I know only one, maybe two, dealers in this region sell and support them. Rainbow Ag is the only one I know of.

Norm, can you tell us the names of those dealers?

/ T-80 Crawler Tractor #4  
Ive seen a few of them around here in vineyards. They are nice little tractors. If they had loaders on them, i wouldnt mind getting one some day. :DI have seen a video of one in the snow and it plowed right through.

Attachments

• 1-27-10 (tractor show) 052.jpg
    1-27-10 (tractor show) 052.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 620
   / T-80 Crawler Tractor
Since many tractor companies have experience with crawler technologies why don't we see more crawler tractors in the utility tractor category?.....Gary

/ T-80 Crawler Tractor #6  
The T80 has been around for some time. I took these pics back in Jul 06 at local dealer. At the time Yanmar was seeking JD dealerships to handle them as quite a few of the drive train components are the same as the Yanmar built JD's.

They sold a number of these machines locally but haven't seen any on the lot for a couple yrs.

Attachments

• t80-2.jpg
    t80-2.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 2,476
  • t80.jpg
    t80.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 4,237
   / T-80 Crawler Tractor #7  
Price around $50k+.

Yanmar introduced them in Northern California and so far as I know only one, maybe two, dealers in this region sell and support them. Rainbow Ag is the only one I know of.

Norm, can you tell us the names of those dealers?

There is DMK Vehicle and Equipment sales in Wallace, NC, 910-686-0504, and Red Trac International, Vineland Ontario, 905-562-4136. This is from the new Yanmar America website, which has, btw, moved HQ from Illinois to Georgia.

/ T-80 Crawler Tractor #8  
Since many tractor companies have experience with crawler technologies why don't we see more crawler tractors in the utility tractor category?.....Gary

Cost...

The rubber tracks are 2k+ per side. Plus theres greater wear on them for a given period of time due to having to skid steer. Then there is the idlers $$ and sprockets and other expensive and specialized parts in the driveline..

Track drive is great, but specialized. There is definitely an added cost for the increased traction and flotation at both time of purchase and ongoing maintenance.
But if the numbers work, theres not much better.

And dont forget that if you need to run on pavement, the tracks will really take a beating too

/ T-80 Crawler Tractor #9  
Has anyone tried the T-80 on slopes; 3:1 - 2:1 ? We have an attachment for erosion control and landscaping and are looking for a machine that can go up slopes.

/ T-80 Crawler Tractor #10  
I know next to nothing about these but FWIW - I think these are intended as highly specialized vineyard equipment emphasizing low ground pressure. And I think they are bought ($50k +-) only by the ultra-premium growers. My neighbors get $3k/ton for their Pinot Noir grapes but they just buy new Deeres.

I wonder if a conventional cleated crawler would be better for extreme grades in contrast to rubber treads.