Clutch issues

/ Clutch issues #1  

jesnic

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1500D, Belarus 255AS
Ok, it looks like I will be splitting the tractor. I washed the tractor yesterday afternoon and left it overnight outside to dry. I got on it today to pluck a dead peach tree and it wouldn't slide into gear. I finally got into low 1st and moved toward the tree, but when I pressed the clutch it didn't stop (no attachments). I slid it into neutral, shut down and grabbed some tools and adjusted the clutch till it started to work. I have 0 freeplay from the top. I have to let the clutch all the way to the top to get it to go. I do believe the clutch is gone. Any suggestions to try before I do the surgery.

Last edited:
   / Clutch issues #3  
Was everything ok b-4 you washed it ??

/ Clutch issues
Yes, it worked flawless before the washing.

/ Clutch issues #5  
Yes, it worked flawless before the washing.

Maybe the clutch is stuck to the flywheel. Hook up a bush hog & run it around & see if it will free up. When I park my tractor & let it sit for any time I always use a block of wood to hold the clutch pedal down

/ Clutch issues
That's what I thought too. But when I adjusted the clutch all the way out, it works. But I do not have any adjustment left. The linkage is maxed and the clutch engages at the top of the pedal. Before I washed it, it had plenty of clutch. Coincidence?

/ Clutch issues #7  
What does it do with the correct amount, (1/2"-3/4") of freeplay?

/ Clutch issues
It doesn't engage at proper freepaly and it doesn't feel like it has any tension until I adjsuted all the way out.

/ Clutch issues #9  
If you mean it doesn't dis-engage when you push the pedal in, then yes, you have a bad pressure plate or/and throwout bearing.

/ Clutch issues
Update. I let the tractor sit for three days with the clutch pedal blocked in the down postion (clutch disingaged and separated from pressure plate) and Walla, it works as should today with proper freeplay. I guess when I washed it, water got into the clutch and stuck the pressure plate and clutch together just enough to make it inoperable. After a few days of drying, it works as new. Thanks for all the replys!