Comparison Powershift

/ Powershift #22  
I agree the three cylinder sounds pretty busy at higher rpms. But in my opinion it sounds like it was designed for that speed.

One of the first things I did when I bought the twin was get out my mechanical tachometer and verify the tractor's tachometer because my senses were telling me 'nobody designs equipment to sound this chaotic'. But it seems that back in the day, they did. This same engine was also marketed as primary power for small fishing vessels. Seems to me that a day cooped up in a boat cabin with that racket would leave one's head ringing for weeks.

/ Powershift #23  
One of the first things I did when I bought the twin was get out my mechanical tachometer and verify the tractor's tachometer because my senses were telling me 'nobody designs equipment to sound this chaotic'. But it seems that back in the day, they did.

Just based on my experience with my truck I know that fuel choice has a lot to do with the sound it makes. In the truck Ultra Low Sulfur diesel (ULSD) makes more noise and less power than Low Sulfur diesel (LSD) did. And B20 biodiesel is a lot quieter than either ULSD or LSD.

My guess is that diesel in Japan 30 years ago is probably a lot different than the ULSD we are using today. So it may not have sounded quite so chaotic back then.

/ Powershift #24  
Been running gray bottle power service @ 200% with red ulsd and my engines noise is so much improved I cant believe my ears it is so smooth and quiet now my wife even noticed.

Steve

/ Powershift #25  
Power Service does help a lot. It (gray bottle) claims to raise Cetane 6 points, used at full strength.

I have read that diesel in Japan is minimum 45 Cetane so I assume these tractors were designed to that standard, while US diesel is lower, sometimes 40 Cetane. I expect the PS brings the fuel up to what the tractor was designed for.

/ Powershift
The three cylinder is nice and smooth. Like a tractor cousin to a Toyota.

The twins are a great value for the money, and a 3 cylinder with Powershift capable of the same work is going to cost a lot more.

Thanks for the review as you made up my mind and I just bought a YM2020. Everyone was so helpful because of the open discussions. With so many models and with all the problems with the VN tractors I decided that this 2020 with a little over 500hrs was going to be the way to go for me.

/ Powershift #28  
Congratulations on your purchase. I think you will get a lot of good work out it. And like California said if you can show us some pictures.

/ Powershift #29  
Power Service does help a lot. It (gray bottle) claims to raise Cetane 6 points, used at full strength.

I have read that diesel in Japan is minimum 45 Cetane so I assume these tractors were designed to that standard, while US diesel is lower, sometimes 40 Cetane. I expect the PS brings the fuel up to what the tractor was designed for.

That's what I figured also because it really helps. I assume the compression is different but I am not a diesel mechanic I have no idea what makes what work on one.

Steve

/ Powershift #30  
the cetane rating between sellers here varies a fair bit. some one did an independant test on the major fuel manufacturers and they varied from 42 up to 50 which is supposedly what they are all meant to be. i use BP diesel in my cruiser as this was the 50 cetane rating and will now use this in the yanny.( hehe this thread has gone from powershift to cetane rating in diesel :D)