Mowing: Big twin (YM240) vs little 3-cyl/Powershift (YM186D)

/ Mowing: Big twin (YM240) vs little 3-cyl/Powershift (YM186D) #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
Actually their capabilities are pretty similar on my sloped ground.

YM240 (YM2000) obviously has a lot more torque, but the YM186D (YM1510D) can shift down when the grade gets too steep.

I have had the 240 since 2003. It does everything well except it is too big to fit under my orchard trees. I bought the little YM186D last summer to get right under the trees. It's great for that.

P1350118rYM186DMow5.jpg

And shifting down as the grade steepens is something I really need.

P1590065rYM186DMow3.jpg

Here's an old photo mowing my neighbor's open field. The YM240 was working hard but moving pretty fast, 7th gear downhill and needed to stop and shift to 6th for uphill sometimes. I expect the YM186D would be working real hard, and slowly, in wet grass as heavy as this. This is the same mower as the first two pictures.

P1000832rYm240Mowing.jpg

In summary - assuming open ground they both do about the same job. For my specialty application, mowing under semi-dwarf orchard trees and a lot of slowing to work around obstacles, the YM186D is the only one small enough to fit in there.

/ Mowing: Big twin (YM240) vs little 3-cyl/Powershift (YM186D) #2  
I myself did some mowing yesterday. My 169D sure beats using my riding lawn mower. I usually run in second gear and always have my hand on the 3 point control since the ground is fairly uneven in some spots. You got yourself a nice Yanmar team there California.

Attachments

• 4-25-10 015.jpg
    4-25-10 015.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 321
   / Mowing: Big twin (YM240) vs little 3-cyl/Powershift (YM186D) #3  
JD looks a little to wet to be moving, pick up the front of your bush hog so you dont tear up the ground so. If its a field i gues it dont matter but if this was my yard i think i would go with the riding mover.

/ Mowing: Big twin (YM240) vs little 3-cyl/Powershift (YM186D) #4  
I also noticed that it was dragging a bit so I extended the top link out a little and picked up the mower a little to prevent drag. This is sort of a field since the ground is rough and needs 4wd to mow it all. I have to admit that it was a little wet out to be mowing but I wanted to mow it before the heavy rain came this week.

/ Mowing: Big twin (YM240) vs little 3-cyl/Powershift (YM186D) #5  
if thats is before the rain, you can almost grow rice there.