Yanmar 1610D Front Knuckle Seal Replacement Question

/ Yanmar 1610D Front Knuckle Seal Replacement Question #1  

montehill

Tractor
Yanmar 1610D
I need to replace the two front knuckle seals on my 1610D. I am trying to decide whether to do it myself or have an experienced mechanic do it. My mechanical skill level would be classified as a beginner. I can handle fluid and filter replacement with no problem but I have never tackled replacing something of this nature.

My question: Is this a relatively easy job that a beginner could handle or should I have someone with experience do the job? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

/ Yanmar 1610D Front Knuckle Seal Replacement Question #2  
Here is something that might help you decide. Don't know if your 1610d is same as this or not. If you do decide to when you get the old seal removed be sure to clean up and examine the area the seal seals on and make sure it is not grooved or pitted badly. There are speedi sleeve available if that should be the case. Also, when refilling with oil I found you need to fill, run awhile, then check. Do that a couple of times. :thumbsup:Yanmar Tractor Parts

/ Yanmar 1610D Front Knuckle Seal Replacement Question #3  
I recently did this on my 2301D plus replacing the spindles. Not a real difficult job, but you will need a puller and it's not a bad idea to have a friend to help hold heavy parts during disassembly.

/ Yanmar 1610D Front Knuckle Seal Replacement Question
Winston1, that diagram is the same as my tractor. I think I will give it a try this weekend. I'll be sure to check to see if it is grooved or pitted. Thanks for the reply.

Choffman1, thanks for the advice. I'll get a friend to help. I don't have a puller. I was hoping I could use a rubber mallet to help remove the lower assembly if needed. Guess I'll see if I can locate a puller just in case. Thanks.

/ Yanmar 1610D Front Knuckle Seal Replacement Question #6  
Auto parts stores loan pullers of different types. They basically sell it to you and when you bring it back they refund your entire purchase price including the tax. I have done this on many occasions at advance auto parts, never a problem with the return, the program is desiged this way, no i am not buying tools using them once and just returning them, this is there "LOANER TOOL" program, ask a sales person there.

/ Yanmar 1610D Front Knuckle Seal Replacement Question #7  
Auto parts stores loan pullers of different types. They basically sell it to you and when you bring it back they refund your entire purchase price including the tax. I have done this on many occasions at advance auto parts, never a problem with the return, the program is desiged this way, no i am not buying tools using them once and just returning them, this is there "LOANER TOOL" program, ask a sales person there.
I have done this also with Advance Auto and it sure is a great program because who wants to buy a tool and use it once.

/ Yanmar 1610D Front Knuckle Seal Replacement Question #8  
Montehill, again, I'm not familiar with the 1610, but I didn't need a puller to change on a 2002d, a slight bump when you get things loose and be ready to catch it.

/ Yanmar 1610D Front Knuckle Seal Replacement Question #9  
You should not normally need a puller for a 1610D knuckle seal replacement. It is the 2wd versions that normally need the puller.

Aaron
Hoye Tractor Parts
Contact Us
(940)592-0181

Thanks for the suggestion. There is an Advance Auto Parts store about 5 minutes from my house. In fact, I was in the store a couple of times this weekend. Very friendly staff. If I need a puller, I'll definitely go see them.