What year is my grey market Yanmar?

/ What year is my grey market Yanmar? #1  

dougfollett

Tractor
Yanmar 1500
Is it possible to tell what year a grey market Yanmar is?
Also I want to thank everyone who helped me with information on my question asking if I had purchased too small of a tractor. Turns out that it will do most of what I need it too. You were right on about the front loader being too much weight forward as well as the 800lb block being way too much weight on the back. I ended up leaving the loader on and replacing the block with the box scraper. It didn't get stuck once. Still a little squirly in the front but managable. I'm still thinking of selling it though. The problem being is that I have the neighbors fairly new 4 wheel drive John Deer to compare it to and there is no comparison. The other big draw back is that I'm 250lbs and six foot three. I feel like I'm trying to go for a ride on my kids tricycle. I figure if I'm going to spend the money and have to live with it for a while I might as well get one that fits me and makes me happy. Thanks all!

/ What year is my grey market Yanmar? #2  
There is a chart that tells what year they were made according to model number. On the rear wheels is stamped a date code, month abd year i.e. 8-79. The 1500's were made between 75 ans 79.

Eugene

/ What year is my grey market Yanmar? #3  
Check the date stamp on the rear wheels (mm-yy), although this may not be exact. When they are loaded in the containers, the tractors are usually stripped of wheels, fenders, etc.

/ What year is my grey market Yanmar? #4  
Hi Greg:

If you know someone in a phd program who has nothing better to do ask them to do their dissertation on determining tractor year by serial number. Its out there but nobody seems to really know.

There is a lot of the blind leading the blind. The two previous posters are as right as anyone. I have from time to time been going to check but...

Most exporters in Japan put a year for the tractor. I have imported many YM1500 tractors and the YM1500 was my first tractor for my orchard. I have YM1500s listed as being made as late as 1982 and some of them have lower serial numbers than the same exporter listed for 1979 Yanmars.

You're safe to say it was made in the later '70s and no one is being misled.

On the other hand if you do, if only for the YM1500, decide to under take a study let us know the results.

/ What year is my grey market Yanmar? #5  
We asked Yanmar back in 1996 and they told us the same thing that they were manufactured between 1975 to 1979. Doesn’t really matter though the new trend on EBay is that they are 2002 models. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif Joking aside, very nice machine though and you should have no problem selling it and getting something that will fit your frame a little better.