Help!!! YM2500 Part Identification

/ Help!!! YM2500 Part Identification #1  

cuintexas

Tractor
Yanmar YM2500
On Sunday, my YANMAR 2500 and a 5' finish mower were delivered. No sooner had the delivery truck and person left my driveway and after only moving it about 25 feet, it stopped mowing. There was no noise, metallic or otherwise; it just stopped mowing. I got off the tractor and the pictures are what I discovered. Can you identify what the part is that has broken (it is at the end of the PTO). Is this something that I can fix? Is this a slip clutch? :(

Attachments

• SSPX0402.jpg
    SSPX0402.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 168
  • SSPX0401.jpg
    SSPX0401.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 148
   / Help!!! YM2500 Part Identification #2  
Looks like the over run clutch fell apart.

/ Help!!! YM2500 Part Identification #3  
I agree I use a 2500 and like it not fond or the pto gears selector though. That should come off the PTO. and the other broken part should come off the drive Shaft then try and put it back on the PTO. S

Sorry about that it's late for me. The Pin with the spring should be the release push Them in and pull the clutch off the shafts.

Carey

/ Help!!! YM2500 Part Identification
Shawnjvl & careyo63,

Thank you for the replies! Any idea why this happened? It is something common with what is supposed to be newly reconditioned? Do I just replace the over run clutch or try to rebuild it?

/ Help!!! YM2500 Part Identification #5  
Looks like the snap rings at the back of the tractor half. I see no grease. These things need grease on a regular basis. Wonder if it had been greased good. I doubt it reusable but without a better look I couldn't know for sure. If this is new purchase would the dealer stand behind a new one? Where in Texas are you from?

/ Help!!! YM2500 Part Identification
Winston1,
It was/is packed full of grease. I called the driver who dropped it off and sent a pic via cell phone; he said he looked like the slip clutch but could do nothing about it. I then contacted the dealer and the initial reply is that they believe it to be the slip clutch. They want me to box it up and ship it to them so they can replace it. I am in Cibolo, outside San Antonio

/ Help!!! YM2500 Part Identification #7  
yep that is the slip clutch. the bolts broke or fell out. If they wonnt replace it go to Tractor supple co. with old one and match it up. Will cost right under $100 i think but tractors cost money esp. a used one. Dont want to screw around with the drive line if its not right and you hit a big stump or rock it can chip or strip your tractors gears.

/ Help!!! YM2500 Part Identification #8  
yep that is the slip clutch. the bolts broke or fell out. If they wonnt replace it go to Tractor supple co. with old one and match it up. Will cost right under $100 i think but tractors cost money esp. a used one. Dont want to screw around with the drive line if its not right and you hit a big stump or rock it can chip or strip your tractors gears.

Yup! TSC 69.00+tx..... without the use of this part will not have any effect on the tractor itself, although is important to have one while using a rotary cutting bush hog.
do not try using the cutter directly to the PTO .... the overrun clutch is designed so not to push your tractor while pushing in the tractors clutch,
in other words, without the use of an overrun clutch the tractor can be pushed along by the rotary cutters momentum and not even the use of the brakes will stop the tractor.

/ Help!!! YM2500 Part Identification #9  
Thanks Tim for catching up on that they double my Meds. and haven't gotten used to it yet. Way past my bed time :(

On the this yrs. New refurb 2500 with a 7'BH it has a over run clutch which I use one also on my 2000 the 2500 is a Fredricks Provided unit.;)
I'm not a big fan of slip clutches, perfect example as to what happened with yours and it seems every time you slip it your adj. it or not long after words. I have never hit anything that caused either tractor to even stall out much less stop dead. I guess I'm just careful and watch what I'm doing. That goes for my 5' Rs1400 tiller on the 2000 also. Since you are useing a finishing mower you should be fine until you get it replaced just be careful and do not try to stop quick just in case all though a 5'Finishing is not much for a 2500 I use one on my 2000 no problems and you have alot more tractor. But to be honest one yr. I was in a hurry and had to change my tiller out for my mower and did not put my ORC.on I didn't hit anything but came real close not knowing. I didn't get pushed far only a finishing mower but it took a few feet more to stop.

Carey

Last edited:
   / Help!!! YM2500 Part Identification #10  
Looks like there are an equal number of votes on here for slip clutch (protects the drivetrain) or overrun clutch. (big ratchet that prevents rotary mower inertia from shoving the tractor.)

I don't see springs with tension adjusters. I do see three seams that might be part of a ratchet. So one vote here for overrun clutch.

Regardless, press that spring-loaded button and slide it off the tractor's pto shaft. Likewise remove the rest of it from the mower's driveline. If the driveline is long enough you can hook up without that broken object, to get some work done while you wait for a replacement.

If it only went 25 ft and blew up the seller has to make good. You clearly didn't receive what you paid for.