Alternative tire sizes?

/ Alternative tire sizes? #1  

WillaminaOR

So I've got a YM1702D, just got it running again and the rear tire is so rotted on the side the tube popped out and pinched I think. I know it's flat. I'd like to get new tires but the 8.3-22 rear tires are next to impossible to find and when you do find them it seems like they are way over priced. The stock sizes are 5-14 front and 8.3-22 rear. What I'd love to do is get different wheels and some R4 tires or even just some R1 tires in a more standard size. Anybody got ideas? Experience? Sources?

Close as I can tell I may be able to get 24" wheels which seems to be a more common wheel size so more tire selection? Then maybe go to a 6-14 front? Just guesses, I haven't don't any calculations yet and I'm not sure if there are actually more tires available yet. Anybody care to comment?

Thanks,
Bryan

/ Alternative tire sizes?
Or does anybody in the northwest corner of Oregon have a good used single or pair of 8.3-22 for little or nothing?

Thanks,
Bryan

/ Alternative tire sizes? #3  
Sounds like you are close to Tractor Ernie and Buck at EFC. They would be a place to start.

/ Alternative tire sizes? #4  
I switched to a very wide and much more common size. I replaced the 8.3X22 with a 12.4X16 and the 5-14 with a 23X8.50X12. This does mean buying new rims. I have had no regrets nor problems on my 1610D with this change. Much more stable and very easy to find sizes. Below is comparisons and info, this may vary slightly by brand purchased, but not much.

stock tires:

8.3x22 = 113 inches RC, OD = 37.5 inches, rim width = 7 inches
5x14 = 72 inches RC, OD = 23.8 inches, rim width = 4 inches

wide tires:

12.4 x16 = 106 inches RC, OD = 37.6 inches, rim width = 11 inches
23x8.5x12 = 69 inches RC, OD = 23.1 inches, rim width = 7 inches

as you can see the wide tire ratio is a closer match than the popular conversion of a 9.5x22 rear tire that has a RC of 117 inches and a OD of 39.2 inches thus making the ratio more of a mis-match than the wide tire ratio.

Last edited:
I blundered across a guy in Molalla, OR called Agri-Tire I think it is. He says I should be just fine with 9.5-22 and 6-14 on my stock wheels and his prices are pretty darn good, all four mounted with new tubes, $718. The fronts are substantially sturdier too, like an 8 ply instead of 4 ply, 6 ply rear instead of 4 ply.

I don't have them on yet but should early next week. I'll report back.

Anybody want to buy a fair condition 8.3-22 Bridgestone?

/ Alternative tire sizes? #6  
If you are in Molalla stop by and ask Tractor Ernie before you commit to that. Ernie might have better advice on what interchanges, vs the tire dealer who may just want to sell you what he has. If Ernie approves, go for it!

I called Ernie a few days ago. He just kindly referred me to Hoye.

I'm not in Molalla, I'm right next to Willamina but it's about an hour or a little less to Molalla. I take back the location of Agri-Tire, I guess he's in Mulino, OR. but that's right near Molalla.

I don't think this guy was just selling me what he had as he had to get them from the warehouse. I've seen where people are dividing the front diameter, standing radius, or circumference by the rear and coming out with a number around .60 - .65. If you divide my originals you get .63 something, the new sizes I am getting are .65 something. My brain isn't working well enough today to tell me if the higher the number the larger the percentage over-driven or the lesser over-driven. I think they'll be just fine but the guy was willing to work with me if I was unhappy with them.

Thanks,
Bryan

/ Alternative tire sizes? #8  
I remember your phone call.

I dont stock 8.2x22 tires, so I refer them to Hoye tractor for that size.

I Think he will be ok with those sizes, however I would be careful on any hard surface rides.

We had to many used tires in the tire room, so we started giving them away to our customers rather than pay to dispose of them at the landfill.
Most of them were good tires, some were so-so, but the the price was always right !

/ Alternative tire sizes? #9  
Ritchieb, can you tell me a little more about the conversion. Is your tractor 4x4? What rim and tire brand did you use? Where did you get them? How did you determine the conversion? Will other sizes work, I am looking at 23 x 10.5 x 12 fronts?

/ Alternative tire sizes? #10  
Ritchieb, can you tell me a little more about the conversion. Is your tractor 4x4? What rim and tire brand did you use? Where did you get them? How did you determine the conversion? Will other sizes work, I am looking at 23 x 10.5 x 12 fronts?

Welcome to the site:welcome: I don't know if he'll answer you or not..This is an old thread and, he hasn't been around in some time.. Last time he posted was 5-17-2012