Dealer Suspect Dealer Near New Orleans

/ Suspect Dealer Near New Orleans #1  

Anonymous Poster

I recently have had a weird experience with a dealer from whom I was buying a tractor and wanted your input. The dealer is 20 minutes from my home near New Orleans, Louisiana. The dealer is in Picayune, Mississippi.

Knowing nothing about tractors I went in to this dealership Tractors Plus and told them what I needed. They had 4 or 5 Yanmars there. The saleswoman “Pat” gave me a price of $9650 for a YM 2000 BD with a new FEL and a new 5' finish mower (king cutter) and a new box blade. Although the machine had only surface rust, they offered to paint it for $375. I placed a $500 deposit on my credit card. Delivery was to take place on 9 days later. I maintained contact and asked about the price of an additional set of wheels with turf tires (but the dealership could not locate any). Two days prior to the delivery date. I called to inquire about pickup of the tractor. I was told that there was no way that the tractor would be ready for delivery as promised. The individual I spoke with now told me that it would be 5 days later.

5 days later I called and was told that it wouldn’t be ready for several more days. Today (after the several days had elapsed) I went to pick up the tractor, but it was not ready. The dealer has offered a variety of excuses why the tractor was not ready (I am not sure that these are really pertinent), but eventually indicated that there was no way that he could have ever lived up to the commitment the saleswoman made. After some discussion, the dealer offered to “refund” the deposit, but tried to keep 20%.
I did contact the dealer again this afternoon to try to work this agreement out. He agreed to have the tractor ready this afternoon. He asked how I would be paying and I indicated that I would place the transaction on my credit card or pay by check. He stated this would be acceptable. Once again I went to his place of business (about a 20 minute drive). Once I arrived he said he was “uncomfortable” selling me the tractor and refused to complete the transaction unless I brought a certified check (a new condition). I offered a personal check and he refused (a method of payment that we had discussed as acceptable before).

It is unclear to me what the problem is with this dealership. I have tried to purchase and pay for a tractor.

The behavior of this dealership makes me wonder if there is some known defect with this tractor or if perhaps it is stolen. I know it is a grey market tractor (although it is unclear if the dealer knows that I know). I know that its was made in 1979 (even though the dealer said late 80's). I guess that the most likely event is that he is somehow misprepresenting the tractor and doesn't want anything to come back to haunt him.

What do you guys think? Am I being paranoid? Or is this an untrustworthy dealer?

/ Suspect Dealer Near New Orleans #2  
Run away, don't walk! In this instance your instincts are right. Even if a good deal and there is nothing wrong with the equip after you buy, you will wonder for years whether this guy messed you over.

Over and over you have seen on this and other groups the relationship with the original dealer is critical. I still stop by and see my dealer every year or two, and he is 3.5 hours away.

/ Suspect Dealer Near New Orleans #3  
I don't know what it is...but there must be something special about this tractor to keep you coming back for more... /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

I've seen this tractor at auctions for varying prices... but averaging about $3500... your quoted price seems to indicate above top dollar for a pristine unit... for something that's over 20 years old... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

At the $10k mark already... have you considered spending just a few dollars more for an absolute brand new and fully warranteed 2003 tractor with many more bells and whistles than offered twenty years ago...

Maybe I missed something in your original post... but I don't see nothing special about spending almost $10,000 for a used tractor that’s not even 20 PTO hp and over twenty years old… and certainly the relationship with this dealership is questionable if anything... /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Suspect Dealer Near New Orleans #4  
Get your money back and leave it. Don’t look back and then do what JM III talked about.

/ Suspect Dealer Near New Orleans #6  
Ditto , RUUUUUUUUNNNN !!!

/ Suspect Dealer Near New Orleans #7  
Do not run from this guy,
Walk slowly away from him so this jerk can see his business going away from him,
Mike

/ Suspect Dealer Near New Orleans #8  
I would demand a full refund and take your business elsewhere. Since you charged the deposit if they refuse to refund your money call your credit card company and they should reverse the charges.

You should be able to do better on the price quoted for a grey market tractor. I bought my 1500D with a Koyker FEL, 4ft finish mower, box blade and a tiller for $6000.

/ Suspect Dealer Near New Orleans #9  
I agree with Rob, (and everybody else), even if they would sell you this tractor it sounds about$1,000-$2,000 too high to me. I would definitely call the credit card company and tell them your story, and they will reverse the charge.

/ Suspect Dealer Near New Orleans #10  
It can't be said enough! If the deal or the situation doesn't feel right walk away! I don't make any of my customers put a down payment down before purchase. Many come to play with the tractors first, try out the implements and then decide to buy. I don't ask for deposits simply because if they want it they buy it! If not that day they come back another day. I think that you have to be suspect in any situation of purchase that you don't feel comfortable. There is plenty of dealers you will find on TBN that will be happy to help you out, answer questions you may have and will give you a sound tractor for the price. Just my two cents worth.
nick