Is this a YM2000 or YM240?

/ Is this a YM2000 or YM240? #1  

Smoody

Platinum Member
Tractor
YM226D
This tractor is for sale local and the guy said its a YM2000, thing is it is green and has a hood like a YM240, so which is it? if it is a YM2000 what years did they come green with that style hood?

Pic attached, left is the tractor in question, right is a YM240 for reference

Thanks

Attachments

• yanmar.jpg
    yanmar.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2,331
   / Is this a YM2000 or YM240? #2  
This tractor is for sale local and the guy said its a YM2000, thing is it is green and has a hood like a YM240, so which is it? if it is a YM2000 what years did they come green with that style hood?

Pic attached, left is the tractor in question, right is a YM240 for reference

Thanks

its my understanding that the grey market tractors are rated HP from pto giving name to the size, ( 2000) 20-hp @ PTO.... the counter made tractors for the intent to be sold in US are actually rated @ engine HP, ( 240 ) 24-hp....
basically same tractor although in the market there had to be a way to separate the two and I'm sure there are other things that might differ safety components etc,etc,,
now as i stated this is what I have come to learn,:confused2:

/ Is this a YM2000 or YM240? #3  
The first 2000's were green. If you don't see/believe the hood emblems you would have to check the throttle and overrun clutch, or lack of.

/ Is this a YM2000 or YM240? #4  
Agreed with norm on the eary ones were green. But for someone to paint it green and put 240 decals on it, is a lot of trouble to go through if its really a gray just to seel it as a us version.

One way to tell is the throttle lever, on a 2000 pull it backward to increase rpms on a 240 push it foward to increase rpms.

Ask the question on the throttle on how it operates.

/ Is this a YM2000 or YM240? #5  
after re-reading your question.... I see it is the tractor on the left ( ym2000 )
is the one for sale..... and as stated is the early ym2000 production evidents by it being green,....
I could see the concern if one were trying to pass it off as a US model....but the badging still reads 2000. and has not been re-badged as the US model ym240....
so I'm trying to think of why the concern?..... now if you were asking about the one on the right as possibly being cloned to a YM240? from being an original YM2000 I could see your concern,

/ Is this a YM2000 or YM240? #6  
That sheet metal in both photos is Version 1 for both YM2000 and YM240. Both are before about 1978, and both should be green.

When they went to Version 2 sheetmetal (headlights inside grille), they started painting their domestic version (YM2000) red at that transition. But the export (YM240) tractors with the later sheetmetal stayed green clear until the end of the series, about 1982.

I think the transition Version1/Version2 for the YM240 was between 1977/1978?? I don't know for YM2000 but it might have been earlier.

You can see examples of both styles in my YM240 US sales brochures referenced from my sig below.

There was also a Version 3 ("Revision level 4") on the US tractors only, still painted green, where they put the air cleaner external out the left side of the hood. I think that started/ended in the YM240 about 1982, its final year. (all dates approximate).

That tractor's chassis number, stamped by the operator's left ankle, will contain the model #.

If you are thinking about buying it, the only significant difference is the US version has a PTO overrun 'clutch' (ratchet) inside the transmission. Other slight differences like the direction the throttle moves, are to match US style but are not significant.

/ Is this a YM2000 or YM240?
I think some of you mis-read my question, or I asked it wrong. But California answered it. I was curious as to the hood only, i haven't seen a YM2000 with that style hood, the tractor on the right in the photo is just a googled image of YM240 that had the same matching hood as the YM2000 I am looking into (left).

The version 1, version 2 deal makes sense, thanks!

/ Is this a YM2000 or YM240? #8  
here are some better pictures for future reference. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• yan2.jpg
    yan2.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 721
  • yan3.jpg
    yan3.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 2,325
   / Is this a YM2000 or YM240? #9  
Yes I probably read too much into the topic :D thinking you were interested in finding out if these tractors were one of the same models, sorry!:cool:

...........so does the hood hinge and open from the top part of the grill? leaving the grill stationary? this would be better for those having a FEL...
where is the battery located? I've always found it a bit difficult to get to the battery on my 1700 with having the FEL makes it difficult because the hood doesn't open all the way, but with no FEL allows the hood to open well far enough to access the battery & radiator screen,

/ Is this a YM2000 or YM240? #10  
Looks like a early 2000 to me, tractordata.com has a good picture of a 240 and it looks
like a red 2000. Hope this helps