I can use your help --- Tranny fluid / water mix ?

/ I can use your help --- Tranny fluid / water mix ? #1  
Tractor
Still searching
I just purchased my first tractor, a Yanmar YM2200, I love it, but when I found pressure being released from the tranny reservoir when I removed the cap to check the fluid level, I decided to change the tranny fluid. In doing so, I found it to be milky in color, which I feel was due to a water/hyd. oil mixture.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how this water could have gotten in???
Not knowing how long this tranny fluid has been like this, could damage have been done to the tranny? The tranny sounds good and shifts without a problem. No leaky seals at all.

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• 49-199109-FirstDriveonnewtractorSept.28,02-2nd.jpg
    49-199109-FirstDriveonnewtractorSept.28,02-2nd.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 134
   / I can use your help --- Tranny fluid / water mix ? #2  
Jim, had same problem with my Yanmar but it is not same model as yours.Traced my problem back to the vent at the top of the transmission housing behind seat was broken off allowing water to get in.

/ I can use your help --- Tranny fluid / water mix ? #3  
Jim,
Nice tractor you have there. You'll not be sorry, I'm sure.

Jerry

/ I can use your help --- Tranny fluid / water mix ? #4  
That is an unusual combination. Usually if the case is pressured up it can't let water in. I agree that your breather is probably plugged. But the water had to either get there before the breather plugged up or got added by an oil jug that had some water in it.

/ I can use your help --- Tranny fluid / water mix ? #5  
Jim
I had the same problem with a YM155D. The tractor was housed in a shed out of the weather however the tractor was not used often. I assumed since we lived in a humid region and the shed was damp condensation in the box was the problem. I changed oil and cleaned the filter and it would work fine until it set for long periods of time.

/ I can use your help --- Tranny fluid / water mix ? #6  
I have seen this on several grey Yanmars.What I do is change the fluid ,use the tractor with PTO running for a few hours then change the fluid a second time and park under a shed.

Mike

/ I can use your help --- Tranny fluid / water mix ? #7  
Jim, there shouldn't be any pressure in the transmission oil reservoir. My first suspicion on the pressure would be a clogged breather. To set your mind at ease, the transmission and hydraulic pump seem to be able to stand some water..... Which is lucky since there is not much you can do about it now except to change it several times. Be sure to clean up the washable oil straner. I think all Yanmars have that strainer. The strainer will be coated with a milky scum if yours is like others that have had this happen.
The transmission oil sump is also the fluid reservoir for the hydraulic system. Trans/hydraulic fluid is best for it, though regular 10w-30 motor oil will work in a pinch.
Take a look at the shifter boot where the gear shift lever connects to the top of the tranny. If the rubber boot is frayed or missing a remarkable amount of rain water will find its way into the tranny. Yanmar even published a service bulletin on that subject sometime in the '70s. The bulletin targeted the YM155D, but most any tractor can get water in the tranny via that route.
The Yanmar combo fuel cap/fuel gauge will also pass rainwater as it gets older. Shine a flashlight down into your fuel tank..... and see if you can see some water sloshing on the floor of the tank underneath the diesel fuel. If there is any water in there it is surprising how easy it is to see it. My fuel tank has a small translucent area along the seam where it wasn't molded quite right, and it turns out that a flashlight held there illuminates the entire inside of the tank. Maybe you will be so "lucky" too. Yanmar sells rebuild parts for the fuelcap/gauge.
Basically I'd get the water out, clean the system as best you can, cover the tractor when it rains, and go out and have some fun with it. They are pretty rugged machines. If you don't have a problem from the water in the next few days of work then I doubt you ever will.

/ I can use your help --- Tranny fluid / water mix ?
I'd like to thank everyone for their help and will certainly let you all know how I make out with this problem.
One reason for purchasing a Yanmar as my FIRST TRACTOR, was this forum and the many good people that are willing to help with each others tractor problems. You've all been great.

Thanks,
Jim

BigE, I checked for vents, I found one under the rear seat, but I think that may vent the pto hyd. reservoir. I'm wondering if there should be another for the tranny reservoir, since I have a filler cap with a dipstick at the gear shift location on top of tranny and one under the seat on the pto hyd. reservoir.

Roger, as I mentioned to BigE, I have two seperate hyd. sumps, one for the tranny and another in the rear for the pto.
I'm no mechanic and this is MY FIRST tractor, but this is what I'm seeing. At the gear shift lever area there is a cap with a dipstick, that's where the pressure is being released from when I open the cap. Then, in the rear, under the seat, is a small hard tubed vent with an extension tube in rubber and to the far rear of the seat is another cap with a dipstick on top of another sump. No pressure comes out of that when opened.
I Removed a plug from under the very rear of the tractor under the pto shaft to the left and it drained the entire transmission, BUT NOT THE PTO HYD. OIL. Hey, I'm learning a little more each day. :) I've had suggestions as to where the oil strainer is located, but when I spoke to the dealer I puchased from, he said to bring it in for him to work on it. I've got a 90 day warranty, but I do like to fool with it myself, it's the only way I'll learn. WISH I HAD A SHOP MANUAL FOR THIS ONE. I did order a parts manual though. Thanks, Jim