3-Point Hitch YM 2700 lift lever position and adjustment

/ YM 2700 lift lever position and adjustment #1  

Johnc65

I've reposted from another discussion area because I just discovered the Yanmar section, so sorry if you've already seen this. --

When the lift lever on my ym 2700 is pulled half way up, it will raise the 3 pt hitch lift arms up all the way -- no problem there, but when the lever is raised on up past the half way point, I hear a small whining sound start. A mechanic told me that the sound was the lift pump running and that I should not leave the lever all the way up or I could burn up the lift pump. If this is true, what makes the lift pump disengage when the lift is raised to the max at the lever's half way position and is there an adjustment that will make the max lift height coincide with max lever height. Right now, my only way of telling if the pump is engaged after raising the lift is to simply listen for the sound and carefully lower the lever until I hear the sound stop. Besides simply being a pain its not always easy to do especially if your hearings not that great. I thought about locking down a nut and bolt at the appropriate lift position, so that I couldn't pull the lever too far, but surely there's something I'm missing. Any ideas? John C

/ YM 2700 lift lever position and adjustment #2  
it should have a kick off linkage/device, You may have to re-adjust it in order to make it work properly, Not sure of your machine, On my 1700 is a linkage located under the seat, although may vary in some differences but should basically have same adjustments,.............. what you will be trying to do is have it when you pull the lever all the way up/back and the lift arms reach full lift the proper adjustment should be so that it will kick back the lever to approximate center location, Kind of a neutral if you will!. I would have to go get a picture of mine to better describe what I'm saying, Perhaps someone here will have the actual diagram for your 2700,

/ YM 2700 lift lever position and adjustment #3  
John, did you read my reply under "Yanmar tractor support"?

/ YM 2700 lift lever position and adjustment
Thank deepNdirt.

Thanks Winston1.

I'll take a look at it this evening and let you know if I can make the adjustment.

/ YM 2700 lift lever position and adjustment #5  
The Operation Manual for my YM240 (YM2000) says pull the lever all the way back to lift, then ease it forward a little to 'Hold' position.

And the sound it makes is obvious. After it reaches full lift, the fluid is diverted through the bypass valve with a screech.

Since that procedure is in the Operation Manual, I don't think there is a 'kick off linkage/device' to move the lever back automatically, so working the lever by hand as described serves the purpose.

I expect your YM2700 works the same, it's from the same era. Just look at the linkage to see that it works smoothly.

/ YM 2700 lift lever position and adjustment
California -- That sounds reasonable. Thanks for the info. Since that mechanic told me that the lift pump could burn up if the lever is left all the way up, I've just worried that if someone besides me is driving the tractor, they could wear the lift pump out if they forgot to lower the lever back down to the hold position.

I'll let you know if I discover anything different.

/ YM 2700 lift lever position and adjustment #7  
I respectfully disagree you should have to move the lever forward but if it works then go for it. Might consider putting a stop at the top to avert being able to make the relief valve go off.

/ YM 2700 lift lever position and adjustment #8  
The Operation Manual for my YM240 (YM2000) says pull the lever all the way back to lift, then ease it forward a little to 'Hold' position.

Winston, California was quoting his manual and the way his tractor behaves, which is the same as mine in behavior.

Now i do think the OP has a problem since his does this midway on the lever being lifted.

As to the OP for fear of having someone burn up the pump, either dont lend your tractor out, or educate them by showing them how you want it used and tell them you dont want the pump to "burn up".

/ YM 2700 lift lever position and adjustment #9  
The screech of fluid going through the bypass is a 'cry of pain' sort of racket, and the engine obviously loads down. I think most people would stop and think over what is going on when they hear this.

I had the same questions as Johnc when I first used the tractor so I tried adjusting the upper stop all over the place. No matter where I set it, I still needed to back off the lever after raising the 3-point. Just as described in the Operation Manual!

Now my later model YM186D is different. When its lift reaches the top, the lever is forced forward by a mechanical linkage that is pushed by the 3-point arm. I think this is what some of you are describing, but you guys own later models with all that fancy stuff. :D:D:D