Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM240D / Massey Ferguson 135 / New Holland TN75F / Pasquali 988 and 997 / Goldoni 20A, 226 and Maxter 70RS / Ferrari 76 and 85 / Holder A50 / Valpadana VMC 180 / Long 610 4WD

Default Re: Transmission problems

Easily done. When I looked at the times after reading your email, I didn't twig to it immediately myself. If missing that is our biggest worry, I'm happy.
    Last edited by svcguy; 09-29-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by YanmarEd View Post
    When I backed my YM1700 off the trailer this evening I heard a loud clunk then It acted like the transmission locked up would not move in any gear I played with it for a min then I could move the tractor in 3rd and 5th 0r 4th and 8th the pto works fine but nothing happens when i put it in 1st or 2nd any ideas what might be wrong ? is this somthing I can do or should I take this to my mechanic ?
    Well I finally got my tractor fixed it turned out to not be to bad thanks to all that offered help especially svcguy you were rite on with your advice now I have to play catch up this weekend and will have to miss muzelloader season in Ga

Tractor
    deere 110tlb, 310, 310g

I know this thread is real old, but I'm doing this same repair. Was hoping winston1 could share whatever the final solution was to removing the rollpin ? I have a tool that is like a screwdriver but with screw threads on its' end, I think it will work, but if there's an easier/smarter way I sure would like to know about it. I'm thinking the roll-pin is sacrificial since a new one came in the package with the shifter fork.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

Quote Originally Posted by steinec View Post
    I know this thread is real old, but I'm doing this same repair. Was hoping winston1 could share whatever the final solution was to removing the rollpin ? I have a tool that is like a screwdriver but with screw threads on its' end, I think it will work, but if there's an easier/smarter way I sure would like to know about it. I'm thinking the roll-pin is sacrificial since a new one came in the package with the shifter fork.

Well, Yanmar Ed didn't tell us exactly how he got his pin.

Have you felt to make certain your pin hole does not go all the way through?

If not, some kind of extractor will have to be used.

Tractor
    deere 110tlb, 310, 310g

The hole does not go all the way through the casting, it is only drilled on the bottom side. All 3 of the shifter fork shaft retaining pins/holes are like this. I ended up using an e-z out to remove it, not very difficult, just thought it was an odd design, thinking it would normally hold better if it was held in a hole on both sides of the shaft. In hindsight I now know how it is supposed to be removed and will share that right now, cuz it's kind of a slick design-the pin length is such that you can drive the pin into the shaft all the way. Once it is driven into the shaft you can remove the shaft. Once the shaft is out you can drive the pin out of it and then re-use it when you reinstall the shaft.

I guess someone decided it was enough to hold it from one side. Seems to work just fine. Maybe some value engineer figured they were saving money by not drilling it all the way through-ya know, a million or so parts times lets say .01 cents per hole in "saved" labor, times 3 holes per part, the guy is probably the ceo at yanmar by now. LOL
    Transmission problems-pin-retainer-shifter-fork-shaft

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Likely to help someone in the future.

Elite Member

Thank you. YOU DA MAN!!! I have always wondered how those pins were supposed to come out. (You should have known that, Winston).

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, and now just one YM186D

Oh man I would be so afraid to try that if I didn't have a shop manual for that model describing the procedure - just in case it wasn't designed that way after all.

Thank you Steinec!

Tractor
    deere 110tlb, 310, 310g

Appreciate the thanks, I was actually expecting some funny pokes about that wry value engineering bit .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123