Transmission problems

/ Transmission problems #21  
Easily done. When I looked at the times after reading your email, I didn't twig to it immediately myself. If missing that is our biggest worry, I'm happy.

Last edited:
   / Transmission problems
When I backed my YM1700 off the trailer this evening I heard a loud clunk then It acted like the transmission locked up would not move in any gear I played with it for a min then I could move the tractor in 3rd and 5th 0r 4th and 8th the pto works fine but nothing happens when i put it in 1st or 2nd any ideas what might be wrong ? is this somthing I can do or should I take this to my mechanic ?

Well I finally got my tractor fixed it turned out to not be to bad thanks to all that offered help especially svcguy you were rite on with your advice now I have to play catch up this weekend and will have to miss muzelloader season in Ga

/ Transmission problems #23  
I know this thread is real old, but I'm doing this same repair. Was hoping winston1 could share whatever the final solution was to removing the rollpin ? I have a tool that is like a screwdriver but with screw threads on its' end, I think it will work, but if there's an easier/smarter way I sure would like to know about it. I'm thinking the roll-pin is sacrificial since a new one came in the package with the shifter fork.

/ Transmission problems #24  
I know this thread is real old, but I'm doing this same repair. Was hoping winston1 could share whatever the final solution was to removing the rollpin ? I have a tool that is like a screwdriver but with screw threads on its' end, I think it will work, but if there's an easier/smarter way I sure would like to know about it. I'm thinking the roll-pin is sacrificial since a new one came in the package with the shifter fork.

Well, Yanmar Ed didn't tell us exactly how he got his pin.

Have you felt to make certain your pin hole does not go all the way through?

If not, some kind of extractor will have to be used.

/ Transmission problems #25  
The hole does not go all the way through the casting, it is only drilled on the bottom side. All 3 of the shifter fork shaft retaining pins/holes are like this. I ended up using an e-z out to remove it, not very difficult, just thought it was an odd design, thinking it would normally hold better if it was held in a hole on both sides of the shaft. In hindsight I now know how it is supposed to be removed and will share that right now, cuz it's kind of a slick design-the pin length is such that you can drive the pin into the shaft all the way. Once it is driven into the shaft you can remove the shaft. Once the shaft is out you can drive the pin out of it and then re-use it when you reinstall the shaft.

I guess someone decided it was enough to hold it from one side. Seems to work just fine. Maybe some value engineer figured they were saving money by not drilling it all the way through-ya know, a million or so parts times lets say .01 cents per hole in "saved" labor, times 3 holes per part, the guy is probably the ceo at yanmar by now. LOL
pin retainer for shifter fork shaft.JPG

/ Transmission problems #26  
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Likely to help someone in the future. :thumbsup:

/ Transmission problems #27  
Thank you. YOU DA MAN!!! I have always wondered how those pins were supposed to come out. (You should have known that, Winston):).

/ Transmission problems #28  
Oh man I would be so afraid to try that if I didn't have a shop manual for that model describing the procedure - just in case it wasn't designed that way after all.

Thank you Steinec!

/ Transmission problems #29  
Appreciate the thanks, I was actually expecting some funny pokes about that wry value engineering bit :laughing:.