Hydraulics (again)

/ Hydraulics (again) #1  

stormpetrel

Gold Member
Tractor
ym2210D
OK, ordered a grapple for my bucket, going with a power beyond fitting from loader valve. I believe the grapple has 3/8" fittings. The loader is a Koyker 120 with separate lift and curl controls.

So......what the heck do I need to buy, exactly?:eek: People have already told me how to do this, seems like I'm a slow learner.

I need a valve (type & size?), hoses (ditto), fittings (ditto)

Also....some of you have advised against quick-connect fittings. Howzabout if I use them at the loader valve, so I'll only ever be taking them off to put other attachments on (I'm thinking log splitter)?

Your help will be much appreciated.
Steve

Separate question: should my loader (Koyker 120) have down pressure? It doesn't now....

/ Hydraulics (again) #2  
yes your loader should have down pressure. I am my no means a hydraulics expert but the loader should easily lift the front of the tractor off the ground when moving the loader down

/ Hydraulics (again)
I notice that the handle will stick sometimes in the "down" position, and when it reaches ground, it just settles down. I will contact the prior owner & see what he says. He was a pretty thorough person; told me one or two minor things the machine needed.

Using the curl lever with the bucket on or near the ground raises her off the ground in a hurry.

What might be the cause of the loader having no down pressure? Could the valve be messed up? Anyone??!??

/ Hydraulics (again) #4  
I notice that the handle will stick sometimes in the "down" position, and when it reaches ground, it just settles down. I will contact the prior owner & see what he says. He was a pretty thorough person; told me one or two minor things the machine needed.

Using the curl lever with the bucket on or near the ground raises her off the ground in a hurry.

What might be the cause of the loader having no down pressure? Could the valve be messed up? Anyone??!??

That "sticking" position is called "float", it allows the bucket to follow the contour of the ground like where you are back-dragging or plowing. Before the joystick enters that point you should have downpressure. Make sure all the linkages are lubricated well on the joystick.

Have you verified you can get a PB sleeve for your loader valve? If you post pictures of it...we can help better.

/ Hydraulics (again) #5  
Some valves have a float position beyond down. You have to push the lever beyond down and it kind of clicks and locks into float.

Chris

/ Hydraulics (again)
That "sticking" position is called "float", it allows the bucket to follow the contour of the ground like where you are back-dragging or plowing. Before the joystick enters that point you should have downpressure. Make sure all the linkages are lubricated well on the joystick.

Have you verified you can get a PB sleeve for your loader valve? If you post pictures of it...we can help better.

I have not verified that I can, but was told that I COULD...:)

I'll go and take a photo right now, post it in a few......

/ Hydraulics (again) #7  

If the loader cylinders aren't fully retracted when the bucket is level on the ground then I would think it is likely in the valve. Is there a gauge on the tractor that you can see if the system has pressure when trying to lift the tractor?

There are two ways to use the loader to raise the front of the tractor off the ground:
1) Lower the loader arms with the bucket level till it reaches the ground and then use the bucket to raise the tractor. ( Kind of hard on the bucket)
2) Lower the loader arms with the bucket level and then use the loader to raise the tractor.

Most loaders are mounted so that they can cut 2 - 4" below grade with a level bucket. It depends on how the loader is mounted on the tractor in relation to the amount of cylinder travel you have left when the bucket is on the ground. There should be about 1" (give or take) before the loader cylinders have been fully retracted when the bucket is level on the ground.

Have you tilted the bucket down and then seen if the loader will raise the tractor? It should have no problem raising it. Koyker loaders are usually able to dig below grade a few inches.

/ Hydraulics (again)
Hope these are sufficient......

On the loader front; maybe I'm pushing the lever too hard, & going straight to the float position? I'll try it again tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!!!!!
Steve

Attachments

• 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    753.6 KB · Views: 114