The tire chain Question (YM169D)

/ The tire chain Question (YM169D) #1  

Johndeere3720

Padawan Tractor Learner, Advertiser
Tractor
Bobcat T62, MT55, E42R, E10, John Deere 4100
Last winter, i plowed about 6 inches of snow, just to see how my tractor would handle. We have a pretty steep driveway, After I went down it (pulling rear blade angled) I knew that i wasn't going to get back up pulling the blade. Here in NW Oregon, we get very wet snow, once it is driven over once it becomes ice. This year, i am going to use my landscape rake (try to keep the gravel on the driveway) and push in reverse for better traction. But, which tires do I put the chains on? I can only budget 1 set so either front or back. With the back, i have fluid filled tires, do i need to keep them warm so the fluid doesn't freeze? The back tires provide torque and have steering breaks, but the fronts have the steering and the extra 200 pounds of weight out front. Which chains would be the most effective?

/ The tire chain Question (YM169D) #2  
I am doing all four with chains but if your budget only allows two then IMO put them on the back. Not sure of your tire size but mine are 17.5L X 24 and I was able to get a set for my tractor for about $220 delivered from tirechains.com. I shopped around the internet and they seemed to be the cheapest price. If you can find a set for a semi you should be able to resize them to fit the front . I was lucky to get them for free or I would be the same as you and trying to decide front or rear.

/ The tire chain Question (YM169D)
here are the prices...

Back tires 8.3-16
1. $44.08 TireChain.com
per pair
2. $41.88 Tractortirechains.com
Per pair
Front tires 6-12
1. $33.15 TireChain.com
per pair
2. $34.89 Tractortirechains.com
Per pair

another question, do i look for the same tire size number when looking for chains or is there a difference in size on the chains?

An example is if say i had 20"x10" tires. would i get 20"x10" chains or 22"x 12" chains?
:confused::confused2:

/ The tire chain Question (YM169D) #4  
Put your chains on the rear tires as you probably have a locking differential foot pedal to help you get "un-stuck" Rotate your fluid filled tire till the valve is at the bottom, push in on the tire valve core and check the fluid that comes out. If the fluid is colored, you probably have an anti-freeze mix. If the water is clear, taste a drop and see if it tastes salty, if so, it is a saline solution, designed not to freeze. I can't imagine anyone putting plain water in a tire except maybe in a sub Tropic area.

/ The tire chain Question (YM169D) #5  
We get away with plain water in tires, just north of San Francisco and 10 miles inland from the Pacific.

We only see the sort of hard freeze where people worry about unsheltered plumbing, maybe once a decade. Even those events aren't long enough to freeze ballasted tires.

But before anyone tries this, consult with some old time farmers nearby! 'Common knowledge' here says water only; that calcium chloride is obsolete and no longer used because of how it can poison your soil if it leaks, and Rimguard isn't available anywhere. At higher altitudes antifreeze is a good idea however.

/ The tire chain Question (YM169D) #6  
We get away with plain water in tires, just north of San Francisco and 10 miles inland from the Pacific.

Same Here in Australia, Plain ole Tap Water is sufficient and no freezing problems.A touch of anti-freeze wouldnt hurt though as it will stop the valve and stem corroding internally.

My rear tires were filled with calcium by the previous owner. Will calcium freeze? With chains, i will get them ordered for the back real soon, im going on vacation monday so I probably wont order until the following week.

/ The tire chain Question (YM169D) #8  
No, it won't freeze, it is a salt water mixture.

My reasoning was that i keep my tractor in the barn which isnt heated but could move it into the garage if need be. Thanks for the reply, my tractor starts very reliably so I will keep it in the barn. :)

/ The tire chain Question (YM169D) #10  
For what it's worth, two of my neighbors always find truck chains on the side of the highway in the mountains here in Colorado. They bring them home, and make up chains for tractors and what have you. Free for the salvage, but then again, I'm a cheap SOB.