grapple mounted...next hydraulics

/ grapple mounted...next hydraulics #1  

stormpetrel

Gold Member
Tractor
ym2210D
The new grapple arrived today. Man, is this thing built well!! Four holes (and plenty of oil) later, and it's on. Have to figure out valve type, hose length, and a few other things to get the hydraulics set. I now have a decent understanding of how hydraulics work; shouldn't be too hard ;)

Still not totally sure which ports from loader valve to use......but in should be on one side and out on the other.....?

Also, not sure if I have the cylinder pointed in the right direction. Does this matter?

Any suggestions or advice will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    1,021.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 248
   / grapple mounted...next hydraulics #2  
The new grapple arrived today. Man, is this thing built well!! Four holes (and plenty of oil) later, and it's on. Have to figure out valve type, hose length, and a few other things to get the hydraulics set. I now have a decent understanding of how hydraulics work; shouldn't be too hard ;)

Still not totally sure which ports from loader valve to use......but in should be on one side and out on the other.....?

Also, not sure if I have the cylinder pointed in the right direction. Does this matter?

Any suggestions or advice will be much appreciated.

Nice looking grapple:thumbsup: You might want to turn the cylinder around so the hoses don't have to move in and out with the ram.

/ grapple mounted...next hydraulics #3  
I'm wondering if you wouldn't need a new valve for your grapple? Would seem to me using a grapple on your loader you would need both the lift and curl function. If you did without either it would have to be the curl cylinders. After reading your post again sounds like you are planning for a new valve. I'm slow to understand sometimes.

/ grapple mounted...next hydraulics
I'm wondering if you wouldn't need a new valve for your grapple? Would seem to me using a grapple on your loader you would need both the lift and curl function. If you did without either it would have to be the curl cylinders. After reading your post again sounds like you are planning for a new valve. I'm slow to understand sometimes.

Yep, need a valve. I just got off the phone w/surplus center. Ordered all the fittings, hoses, adapters, and the valve.

A very interesting thing happened when I talked to the Koyker people about the power beyond sleeve. The guy I talked to told me NOT to "Tee" the return line, no way, no how. He said to take the return line off the loader valve, and attach it to the return port of the new grapple valve, and then to run a new return line from the loader valve. Does that mean I'll have two return lines going to the pto...?

The two diagrams I've seen both show the return lines Teed together.......:confused2:

Every time I think I have this down, something new pops up and confuses the **** out of me!!!!!!!

Any opinions/advice?

/ grapple mounted...next hydraulics #5  
Yep, need a valve. I just got off the phone w/surplus center. Ordered all the fittings, hoses, adapters, and the valve.

A very interesting thing happened when I talked to the Koyker people about the power beyond sleeve. The guy I talked to told me NOT to "Tee" the return line, no way, no how. He said to take the return line off the loader valve, and attach it to the return port of the new grapple valve, and then to run a new return line from the loader valve. Does that mean I'll have two return lines going to the pto...?

The two diagrams I've seen both show the return lines Teed together.......:confused2:

Every time I think I have this down, something new pops up and confuses the **** out of me!!!!!!!

Any opinions/advice?

How may threads about this?:confused2:

I hope the SC guy was not understanding what you where saying-cause that sure is bad advice he gave!

/ grapple mounted...next hydraulics #6  
Kennyd... I think it's "keeping up with the Jones"... one guy does it we all have to do it. Also, "SC guy" didn't give advice... it was "Koyker people" the loader people...

"...I talked to the Koyker people about the power beyond sleeve. The guy I talked to told me NOT to "Tee" the return line, no way, no how. {I wonder if he is talking about the HIGH Pressure line, which is correct} He said to take the return line off the loader valve, and attach it to the return port of the new grapple valve, and then to run a new return line {I'm thinking he means the Low pressure return to the tank} from the loader valve. Does that mean I'll have two return lines going to the pto...? {one is high pressure - power beyond for the 3ph. The other low pressure to return to the tank. If you make a mistake, Like I ALMOST did... it's going to be ugly}

Good luck...

Thanks Teg...My bad, missed the Koyker people sentence:eek:

/ grapple mounted...next hydraulics #7  
I have a Green's machine thumb,works great...don't know about your hydraulic connections;but turn the cylinder around and put ninety degree elbows in the cylinder;keeps the hoses back a little.

/ grapple mounted...next hydraulics #8  
Forgot,tooth-bar will make the thumb work a lot better...brush ,logs ect.

The man at Koyker told me that if I "teed" the return line I would lose the 3ph/pto. What the heck do I do then?

The diagram I saw from Prince valves showed the two valve's return lines teed together...if that's NOT the case, what is?:confused:

I have a Green's machine thumb,works great...don't know about your hydraulic connections;but turn the cylinder around and put ninety degree elbows in the cylinder;keeps the hoses back a little.

Thanks Birdman...I ordered the 90s, thinking exactly that!!