Mowing Small tractor for mowing 1acre.

/ Small tractor for mowing 1acre. #1  

MarkStewart

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1401
Hello all. I wanted to know if I should be able to purchase a small yanmar for 4000$. I think I would be better off purchasing a yanmar compared to small lawn tractor. All I basically need it for is mowing my one acre lot. Maybe use back blade a little etc. Should i expect to find something in this price range? like a 2wd 13-16pto machine? Or should I expect to pay more? Thanks for replies.

/ Small tractor for mowing 1acre. #2  
Yes, I would think you should be able to. I just bought a YM 1700, which has a 17 hp at the PTO, and a scraper blade, and 4 foot bush hog, for under $4000. I'm in the south, but you might find one a little smaller for only 1 acre, that would work for you. I have 7+ to cut and a 1/4 mile road to do.

/ Small tractor for mowing 1acre. #3  
I forgot to mention, you would want to get a finish mower, in stead of a bush hog, probably. They cost twice as much, but then I had to pay $300 delivery, as it was a couple of hundred miles from where I bought it and where I live.

/ Small tractor for mowing 1acre. #4  
Mark...Hi, you didn't mention what part of the country you live in. I've noticed that there is a slight variance in prices north or south of the mason dixon, they tend to be a little higher north. This is from my checking around and there are always exceptions. I think that if you just plan on mowing and doing a small amount of blading that a 1401 would probably be just about perfect for you. Plenty of power and torque for your needs, and it's in a very nice sized package for your needs. Not knowing what part of the country you live in, the four wheel drive option would be up to you on a need basis and price consideration. Definately go with a finish mower as suggested above. See if you can get it in a package deal. I'm thinking you should be able to get a nice 14xx yanmar with a finish mower for around the price you mentioned. Good luck and happy tractoring. rccoyote

/ Small tractor for mowing 1acre. #5  
Mark,
I use a YM1700 2WD for my 2 acres. Box blade, back blade, 5' finish mower, 4' tiller, carry all............need I say more? You should be able to pick up a 15-20HP Yanmar for that price.

/ Small tractor for mowing 1acre. #6  
Mark, we are just down the road about 3000 miles in Northern California. Your budget should work fine. I have a very clean YM1401 3-cylinder diesel, about 14 PTO and 17 engine HP for $2950. Original paint, 300 hours, all serviced. I then have a painted one, not as clean, 700 hours $2500, serviced. Put some weights on the front and a finish or rotary on the back and you are set. Make sure you buy an over-running PTO clutch when you install the mower. About $75 or a little less, and adds a great deal of safety.

/ Small tractor for mowing 1acre.
That was one of the things I was concerned about. How much the shipping would cost to New York. I really don't see many for sale around here, and if I do they seem way overpriced. I don't think there are any used Yanmar dealers around here either. Those 1401s definately sound like something I would be considering.

/ Small tractor for mowing 1acre. #8  
If we shopped around some, I expect about $700 to ship to New York. I have about 20 others as well, including a very late model Yanmar F-7. Feel free to contact me privately at dave@davestractor.com

I suspect that you will find a closer dealer. Not that I would want to lose a sale, but you might check with LMTC in Ohio. Wayne is an honest man and sells good tractors.

You might read some threads on the Vietnamese rebuilt Yanmars as well. Some are OK I guess, but better to buy a very clean tractor that has never been worn out or broken. A rebuilt tractor means that at one point it needed it! With good care, a tractor should last a lifetime.

I prefer the 3-cylinder models as they are smoother and quieter, and have a later style air filter, and they all have water pumps. I don't want to offend the 2-cylinder gang out there, they are solid workhorses, just stating my opinion.

/ Small tractor for mowing 1acre. #9  
Mark,
If you will email us your address (esp. zip code) and your general requirements for the tractor, along with any implements you want, we will be happy to provide you with a quote. I will also email you some references if you like.
Wayne, Little Miami Trading Company (LMTC)
sales@LMTcompany.com

/ Small tractor for mowing 1acre. #10  
Mark, here is a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=yanmar&Number=118518&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=all&vc=1>dealer list</A> that was put together a while back. I don't see any NY dealers in there, but it may be of some help.