Thermostart vs magnetic oil pan heater

/ Thermostart vs magnetic oil pan heater #1  

Gary Sweat

Platinum Member
I think I have the option of installing a thermostart on my YM1900. So, my question is, which method would work the best for cold winter starting? The temperature for my area seldom gets below 10 degrees, mostly in the range of 15 to 20 degrees during the winter months. The tractor is kept in a garage but the garage is not heated unless I want to work in it. Pretty much anything below 45 degrees and it won't start as it is.

In the photo there is a plug in the head that I think the thermostart is normally installed but appears this engine never had one. Hoye has all of the parts so it shouldn't be a real problem installing. Just don't know which one would give me the best starting method.

Attachments

• DSCF0001 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0001 (Small).JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 638
   / Thermostart vs magnetic oil pan heater #2  
To heat the oil pan is a good way to get the oil to flow better when cold but not to much of a help to start a cold engine!

To do that you are better off with a thermostart system to warm the air, or the upper engine so it can compress the fuel and the fuel to explode and start the engine.

/ Thermostart vs magnetic oil pan heater #3  
Thermostat? A thermostat cannot heat a cold engine; the roll of a T-stat is to set the minimum operating temperature of the engine. You are way, way confused, you should be saying, Coolant Heater. Installing a Coolant Heater where you suggest will not work. You want to install a Coolant Heater at a low point to foster circulation of the coolant.

/ Thermostart vs magnetic oil pan heater #6  
Sorry, never seen one before. So what dose it get installed into?

/ Thermostart vs magnetic oil pan heater #7  
:laughing: Here all that I do since I don't have to use it often an works great. You have the same setup.Just get the Glow Plug from Hoye $45 New. Run a Jumper from the battery POS. This was a old Antifreeze tester I use to get Diesel from my tank and to the TS. When you hook up the power A check Ball will heat up an let it pass to the Igniter about 10sec. should do it and not burn up the Igniter. You can run the power to the ignition switch I just don't use it much at all and only takes a Min. to hook up.;)

Carey

Attachments

• Tractor%20pics.%20003[2].jpg
    Tractor%20pics.%20003[2].jpg
    546.4 KB · Views: 726
  • Tractor%20pics.%20008[1] (Medium).jpg
    Tractor%20pics.%20008[1] (Medium).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 343
   / Thermostart vs magnetic oil pan heater
:laughing:

68476d1169070962-can-i-add-thermostat-glow-dscn5123thermostart-perkinsbox.jpg
37146d1114015731-small-plastic-bottle-top-ym240-632400-thermstart-diagram.jpg
47028d1131745016-comments-questions-following-purchase-2310d-769904-img_5922rthermostart.jpg

Thanks California for the photo. It doesn't look like it wouldl take much to install. Might have to make a bracket for the fuel bowl.

/ Thermostart vs magnetic oil pan heater
:laughing: Here all that I do since I don't have to use it often an works great. You have the same setup.Just get the Glow Plug from Hoye $45 New. Run a Jumper from the battery POS. This was a old Antifreeze tester I use to get Diesel from my tank and to the TS. When you hook up the power A check Ball will heat up an let it pass to the Igniter about 10sec. should do it and not burn up the Igniter. You can run the power to the ignition switch I just don't use it much at all and only takes a Min. to hook up.;)

Carey

Hoye has another fuel bowl that appears to hook into the injector fuel return line and it's cheaper than the original bowl. I will be using the tractor pretty much daily during the winter so that might be an option I should look into. Do you have to take the breather cover off to use the TS?

So, is the TS a better way to go than the oil pan heater to get the engine started in cold weather?

/ Thermostart vs magnetic oil pan heater #10  
The ignition switch on my 3810D and many other Yanmars has a TS position built in its turned to the left like accy on a car ign sw food for thought...

The TS works also when the ignition switch is turned to start however it takes longer than just cranking to fire up the TS unit. More food for thought for wiring it into your system. In other words the solenoid wire is good for wiring it in just don't clutch it while you turn the ignition switch to start for the first 10-20 seconds when you want to fire the TS up when its cold.

I took mine out and ran it outside the engine and it will just start a fire @ 10 seconds and 20 is probably the max that I would feel good about using it. hth

Btw I have a small magnetic oil pan heater and I use both when the tractor has to sit in an un-heated garage and it starts just fine.