Pulled the oil pan

/ Pulled the oil pan #1  

Gary Sweat

Platinum Member
I decided to go ahead and pull the oil plate just to see what the engine looked like. It has not been opened up in the almost 7 years I have known it. Don't know anything about it prior to that. I expected to see a lot worse than I found. To me this indicates at some point someone has been in the engine. I don't think a 30+ year old engine should be this clean. To bad I can't find out what was done to it or why. The guy my dad bought it from just said "it is a good running tractor".

Attachments

• Block (Medium).JPG
    Block (Medium).JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 186
  • Oil plate cover (Medium).JPG
    Oil plate cover (Medium).JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 171
   / Pulled the oil pan #2  
I have Heard Yanmar says to clean the pickup tube ?

/ Pulled the oil pan
I have Heard Yanmar says to clean the pickup tube ?

The photo doesn't show it very well but I looked in the tube with a light and it is as clean inside is it is outside and all of the holes are open. All of this is starting to make me think this engine has been worked on before.

I'll take it off anyway just to check. Thanks for that info.

/ Pulled the oil pan #4  
I decided to go ahead and pull the oil plate just to see what the engine looked like. It has not been opened up in the almost 7 years I have known it. Don't know anything about it prior to that. I expected to see a lot worse than I found. To me this indicates at some point someone has been in the engine. I don't think a 30+ year old engine should be this clean. To bad I can't find out what was done to it or why. The guy my dad bought it from just said "it is a good running tractor".

I agree and disagree about the 30 year old engine being that clean. Detergent oils, regular oil and filter manitenance can keep an engine pretty clean. Blowby is a killer on it but even with that the regualar changes can do pretty good. If you have had it for seven years you have really proved my point.

/ Pulled the oil pan #5  
Looks about right. When the engine is spinning and the crankshaft is thrashing away the crankcase environment is probably something like a huricane with wind driven detergent oil instead of rain. It's a hard environment for crud to survive in.

/ Pulled the oil pan #6  
looks exactly what mine looked like when I pulled it apart.

/ Pulled the oil pan
Thanks guys, it makes me feel better about the engine. The exhaust runs clean when pulling so maybe it's still got some life left in it. I have rebuilt car engines and have found some that had a lot of buildup in them and some that were very clean after 130,000 miles. I know very little about diesels so I really didn't know what to expect.