bad battery?

/ bad battery? #1  

tonyw

Gold Member
Tractor
YM1401d
I just bought a new battery this summer and already have had to jump off my 1401d twice in the past week! I'm going to have the battery tested, but if it's good, I'm assuming some problem w/the alternator?
I understand those are fairly expensive gadgets, so I'd be interested in rebuilding; if it is my alternator that's bad, does anyone have recommendations where to go? I'm in NC, but I'd be willing to ship it out for rebuilding if necessary--I understand that some dealers here will do rebuild's?
Thanks very much!

tony w

/ bad battery? #2  
could be the voltage regulatoy as well. Get an electrical tester to check the alternator.

/ bad battery? #3  
Here are a few places in your area that can rebuild Alternators & Starters.

Armature Exchange, Greensboro, NC, 336-274-5629
Clinton Auto Parts, Lexington, NC, 336-787-4136
A&A Alternator and Starter, High Point, NC, 336-886-7927
Douglas Battery, Winston-Salem, NC, 336-722-4107

If you have access to a digital voltmeter, it is easy to determine if you have an alternator/regulator problem. Just connect the meter to your battery and you should measure approximately 13.5-14.5 volts (DC) when the engine RPM is 2000 or above. Without the engine running you should measure approximately 12-12.5 volts, depending on battery condition.

Most repair shops can check the alternator and regulator so you may want to take both and save a trip.

/ bad battery? #4  
Most Auto Zones do that for you, for free, check the alt and reg, that is.

/ bad battery? #5  
CHECK ALTERNATOR

Pull the leads off of the alternator . Run at fast idle. AC output should be 20-30 volts for a good alternator. Don't run any longer than needed or damage may occur. Can supply new . Some can be rebuilt , but are sometimes cheaper new. sheaftractor@coiinc.com

/ bad battery? #6  
If you do need a rebuild contact Barry Wise at A and T Rebuilders in Tupolo, Mississippi 1-800-746-9567. They do alternators, starters, water pumps, etc. for greys and all others. Nice people, excellent prices, warranty, and one day turn around.

Don't work there. Just use them.

Bob

/ bad battery?
Thanks, everybody, for your suggestions!! I will have everything checked out--if I do need a rebuild, or new alternator, at least I have some ideas about where to go! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif
thanks again!

tony

/ bad battery? #8  
Tony,
Just to add a little to what has already been said - in my limited exposure to these Yanmars, I have seen 4 tractors with charging problems. None had bad alternators, all had bad regulators. Take the alternator and regulator to a shop to be tested.