Wire on left fender?

/ Wire on left fender? #1  

MartyH

Tractor
Yanmar 1500D
I have seen this on several Yanmar's at the dealer and I have it on my 1500D as well. There is a wire coming through a grommet on my right rear fender. There is a hole next to this where something was obviously mounted. I assumed this was for a rear facing work light. However, this wire is hot anytime the key is on so it probably wasn't a light. Does anyone know what this circuit was for?

/ Wire on left fender? #2  
The wire is for a rear facing work light, just as you said. The original factory light had it's own mounted "off/on" switch, with frame ground.

/ Wire on left fender? #3  
Has anyone figured out a good use for that wire, as I don't think most of us are useing them at night, where we need the light. There must be something else it could be used for, that would have a good purpose.

/ Wire on left fender?
OK, that makes sense and will work for me. I've already mounted a light. Now I just need to add a switch back there. I'm glad I asked. I didn't want to tear up the factory harness. I'll figure a way to add a switch at the light.

/ Wire on left fender? #5  
I got a ATV style grass seeder that I mount to the top link bracket on my tractor. I put a splitter at the wire to my rear light. All I have to do is turn on my worklight and the seeder starts turning. It isn't as big as a PTO seeder but it doesn't take up as much room in my barn either. That is where it is much more than on the tractor.

/ Wire on left fender? #6  
MartyH
Their is a switch already on the tractor that will operate that light. It's the second position on your headlamp switch. Most of the tractors lose the light and the mirror that is usually attached to the right side cowl during shipping. Gordon at Maynard Equipment told me that they are usually rolling around in the container upon arrival. I'm trying to locate one of each to make my 1610D as original as possible. Have you also noticed that you can't flash both signals at the same time like on most american tractors? Oh well.....

/ Wire on left fender? #7  
If you connect a jumper between the turn signals both will flash when either is turned on. I do some of mine that way if customers want flashers.

/ Wire on left fender?
As I mentioned in my original post, this wire is hot with the key turned on regardless of the headlight switch position. My headlight switch does have two positions but it simply switches from high and low beam headlamps and has no effect of the wire on the rear fender. As for turn signals, I have no idea what I'd ever use them for. Right now only the left one works. I'm picking away at little projects like this as time allows. I like the idea of changing this to flashers instead of turn signals. It also looks like it'd make an incredible amount of sense to change that crazy fuse block over to circuit breakers! It's only 4 circuits on my 1500D but it sure would be handy to reset a breaker if a wire ever shorted as opposed to change out one of those fusable links which I actually did last night.

/ Wire on left fender? #9  
If you tie the turn signals together I would suggest putting a Heavy Duty flasher in also. Adding the extra load makes them flash very fast.

Tom

/ Wire on left fender? #10  
Marty, here is what the factory worklight looks like. I refurbished mine and replaced the toggleswitch with a new chrome one from Radioshack, ( barely visible at top of light).

Last edited: