Starter Solenoid (I think)

/ Starter Solenoid (I think) #1  

Bennet.man

Hey everyone.
I'm having some trouble getting my 240D to start. It won't even crank over. The only thing it does is click when I turn the key. I just replaced the battery about a week ago with a 850 CCA battery, so I know its not that. I pulled the solenoid off and took it to O'Reilly Auto Parts to see if they might have something that would work, but no such luck.
Has anyone ever had this happen? Is it the solenoid? Could it be anything else? The numbers that were on the solenoid are: ZM 684 12v 01 09 and Made in Brazil. If anyone can shed some light on this problem of mine, that would be great! Thanks in advance for the help!

/ Starter Solenoid (I think) #2  
When I bought my YM240 the key switch was flaky making the solenoid intermittent.

You might try a jumper direct from battery to solenoid to bypass all the wiring, to test if the solenoid is good and the problem is elsewhere. Be certain you are in Neutral and throttle at zero! Bypassing the start safety switch, there is nothing to prevent the starter from pushing the tractor right through the barn wall (or running over you) if it is in gear when you do this.

/ Starter Solenoid (I think) #3  
Probably is the solenoid but make sure your ground connection to frame is clean and secure. You can also purchase a pretty inexpensive remote starter button for testing such as this.
12 Volt Remote Starter Switch Nothing wrong with California's way either but just be careful either way. Might try tapping on the solenoid while energizing it, sometimes those things will kick in with a light tap. Worth trying.

/ Starter Solenoid (I think) #4  
Sounds like a Bad Connection or tions. I would make sure (ALL) are clean battery and Esp. Ground from the Battery to the Frame. I went through the same problem when I got mine home. Also had problems my alt. and reg. The good was on the Starter Pulled it apart cleaned the 30+ yrs. of Brush Dust and Dirt out and replace the Bat. Ground wire its been over 3yrs with no problems ;)

Carey

/ Starter Solenoid (I think) #5  
We just went through this with another poster. I advised him to clean the starter up bendix etc. He even had it to the auto electric shop and they said the starter was fine. After he cleaned it, it was perfect as posted. This may not be your problem. The advise by California is very good and I would suggest that you put a helper in the seat when you are testing with the junmper method unless you are very good at it.
Craig Clayton

/ Starter Solenoid (I think) #6  
I'm with Carry,I'd check those Batt. cables .make sure they are clean and tight and ground cable to frame is clean and tight. russ

/ Starter Solenoid (I think) #7  
Hey Bennet.man maybe this will help. I had a similar problem with my 2000 acting up last year. Good battery, all connections clean and tight, and it was driving me nuts. I happened to be watching the starter one time when my son tried to start it and saw a spark jump in the crimped connector that the copper braided ground wire goes in, where it is bolted on to the solenoid. All I did was squeeze the metal connector closed tightly with a pair of pliers and it has worked fine ever since. I hope I have explained this adequately because it is an easy fix if that is your problem too. Good luck friend.

capt.

/ Starter Solenoid (I think)
Ok, here's what I know, I checked the starter side of the solenoid tonight with a meter (while "cranking" it, didn't actually turn over) and it read 12.6v. Its a new battery that I put in there, but I didn't clean the terminals before installing. Although, it did crank over prior to installing the new battery without any problems.
I bought the tractor last January and haven't had much for problems other than this; although they said they put a "new" starter on it before I paid them. And the more I read, the more I understand that there is a HUGE difference.
Please let me know if you can help!

/ Starter Solenoid (I think) #9  
Ok, here's what I know, I checked the starter side of the solenoid tonight with a meter (while "cranking" it, didn't actually turn over) and it read 12.6v. Its a new battery that I put in there, but I didn't clean the terminals before installing. Although, it did crank over prior to installing the new battery without any problems.
I bought the tractor last January and haven't had much for problems other than this; although they said they put a "new" starter on it before I paid them. And the more I read, the more I understand that there is a HUGE difference.
Please let me know if you can help!

If you don't mind doing a little work you can do this to check out the starter motor:

Disconnect the negative battery post, remove the starter from the tractor (leave all the wires hooked to the starter), secure the starter so it can't move or fall. Hook the battery back up and try to crank it. There are several things that it can do and it would be better if you let us know what it does rather than lay out a bunch of possibilities. Listen for the sounds it makes also.

/ Starter Solenoid (I think) #10  
Tap the solenoid lightly while turning to crank.