Hour meter fix

/ Hour meter fix #1  

BurningBushFarm

Silver Member
Tractor
YM2000D
Here's another question:

YM2000D hour meter had stopped running last month. Tach works.

Husband hasn't got to it, but he plans to see if it's a simple fix.

It is a cable?

Would be good to have it running so we can keep track of maintenance.

Thanks! :)

/ Hour meter fix #2  
It is a sealed unit and is replaced complete. Hoye must have them.

A local speedometer shop might have the tool to seal it back up after repair but I doubt they could match the price of a replacement.

If the needle works then the cable that drives it is ok.

On this model it should take 5 minutes to remove/replace the tach.

/ Hour meter fix #3  
My tractor would make a weird screach every now and then. This was a few months ago on my last round of field bushhoging. I heard it once or twice, then the hourmeter went crazy and pegged off the chart. I idled down to check it. What happened was the nut that secures the cable to the back of the meter had vibrated loose, causing an erratic connetion. Tighted it back up and good to go. Have only put a handfull of hours on since then, maybe 4, so im not sure how often i have to check this again. I did not use pliars as i was actually on it working at the time, and did not feel like digging in the toolbox at that moment.

/ Hour meter fix
The tach worked. It was the hours meter that crumped out. Before we spent $80 hubby thought he'd take a looksee.

So he took the unit out and opened it up. (That was a bit of a chore.) Wanted to see if there was a gear broken or something. Never did see what the problem was. Fiddled with it and checked all the little gears ... it seemed that everything was meshing and all turned -- so put it back together and remounted it (that's a bugger ... my hands are smaller and I was still standing on my head trying to get one of the nuts on and tight.

Voila! It works. At least for now ...

I am loving this machine.

Neighbor with all the green machines stopped as we were unloading the bush hog ... he pointed out that the engine in his track hoe is a Yanmar. :thumbsup:

/ Hour meter fix #5  
Chances are you had a loose wire and it was tightened when put back in.

/ Hour meter fix #6  
No electrics in these tachs! Not even illumination. Pure old-school all-mechanical technology.

BBF how the heck did you get the tach case back together? I thought these were sealed like a can of beans.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll attack the one in my YM186D. When it hasn't been run for a couple of weeks it screeches and the needle pins for the first minute or so. I was eventually going to replace it. I assume the tach cable spins a magnetic cup that should move the needle, like the old British motorcycle tach I took apart once. In that case the magnetic cup or the needle's iron 'follower' had become rusty, and dragged.

/ Hour meter fix #7  
No electrics in these tachs! Not even illumination. Pure old-school all-mechanical technology.

BBF how the heck did you get the tach case back together? I thought these were sealed like a can of beans.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll attack the one in my YM186D. When it hasn't been run for a couple of weeks it screeches and the needle pins for the first minute or so. I was eventually going to replace it. I assume the tach cable spins a magnetic cup that should move the needle, like the old British motorcycle tach I took apart once. In that case the magnetic cup or the needle's iron 'follower' had become rusty, and dragged.

Cal, look at my post above. That is exactly what mine did. The cable at the back of the tach was loose. I tightened it up and thats all it took!

/ Hour meter fix #8  
The tach worked. It was the hours meter that crumped out. Before we spent $80 hubby thought he'd take a looksee.

So he took the unit out and opened it up. (That was a bit of a chore.) Wanted to see if there was a gear broken or something. Never did see what the problem was. Fiddled with it and checked all the little gears ... it seemed that everything was meshing and all turned -- so put it back together and remounted it (that's a bugger ... my hands are smaller and I was still standing on my head trying to get one of the nuts on and tight.

Voila! It works. At least for now ...

I am loving this machine.

Neighbor with all the green machines stopped as we were unloading the bush hog ... he pointed out that the engine in his track hoe is a Yanmar. :thumbsup:

All the green tractors, except the big ag tractors have yanmar engines in them. I think its the whole compact/utility and sub compact line.

/ Hour meter fix #9  
The cable at the back of the tach was loose. I tightened it up and thats all it took!
Thanks! I tried that first. Then I removed the cable core, cleaned and lubed it with a parafin stick plus oil, then reassembled it and snugged up the connections at both ends. And re-routed the cable. I thought it might be a kinked cable. But that maintenance made no improvement. I'm pretty sure the problem is inside the sealed tach case.

The tach shows around 930 hours. I was going to replace it when it rolled over.

I thought these had a collar between the case and the glass that is crimped all the way around, and would be impossible to re-seal securely. But BBF's post has encouraged me to attempt repair before giving up on it.

/ Hour meter fix #10  
correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the hour meter only works when your up to recommend rpms,like 2100 or so? russ