cold weather 4WD shifting

/ cold weather 4WD shifting #1  

tonyw

Gold Member
Tractor
YM1401d
Has anyone had trouble shifting into 4wd when the weather's cold? I've checked the gear oil level, and it's fine....
I can shift into 4wd, but it just takes a little more "hrumpfh"
when it's cold. Maybe i'm just weaker when it's cold! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif
thanks

/ cold weather 4WD shifting #2  
Probably because the oil is cold. That is why it is harder to turn your engine over when it is cold (other than that your battery is weaker due to temperature).

/ cold weather 4WD shifting #3  
I rarely take mine out of 4WD ( use the loader all the time), especially when there is snow or ice.

/ cold weather 4WD shifting #4  
The 1401D 4WD lever may slide a shaft back and forth to engage an internal toothed coupler (like the 1510D) as opposed to some models that slide a gear back and forth internally. On the 1510D, the shaft slides out the back of a small housing under the tractor and is subject to corrosion and dirt. I am not sure about your model, but that shaft may need some cleaning and lubrication. It does not take much to break or bend the other end of the 4WD lever.

/ cold weather 4WD shifting
thanks, everybody, for your replies! I'd considered the oil might be too cold, but didn't know about the lever mechanism
which may need cleaning and lubrication...I'll check it out.
thanks again! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif