inline heater

/ inline heater #1  

YanmarFever

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5010C- Branson 4520r- 5520C- Yanmar FX235-D - Bad Boy rogue mower
I have a heater on my yanmar spliced in at the radiator hose
I plug it in about an hour before I use it,sometimes I forget to plug it in. Can I just leave it plugged in all the time in the winter? Will it hurt to leave it plugged in for a week at a time?
I also have one on the forklift that if I dont plug it in 2 hrs. before I need it ,I can forget using it or wear out my starter

/ inline heater #3  
I'm pretty sure you can leave it plugged in all the time. I have known people that have left their p/u truck block heaters on all the time in the winter with no adverse consequences.

Just make sure you are using a good extension cord. I read a story about a person's car that went up in flames because the cord to his block heater shorted out and started a fire.

/ inline heater #5  
One option, is to put a thermostat inline on the cord. They make low temp thermostats for hog barns etc. The heater would only come on when the temp went below freezing. It might save you a few bucks.

/ inline heater #7  
I have an inline heater in the lower radiator hose on my Yanmar as well. I forget the brand name, but it can be found in most any autoparts store. Last winter I left it plugged in all the time. It cost a fortune to run! Then it burned out after about a week, I bought a second one and left it plugged in all the time and it burned out too! Now I plug it in an hour or two before use and this one is working fine.

Just had a thought I think it might be a Kats brand.

Matt

/ inline heater
Matt,
Thats what im afraid of, is a burning heater inside our nice shop in the middle of the night, or when we arent here.
My question is has anyone left their heater on for a month at a time? Are these units meant to be turned on for long periods of time?
And can it hurt your machine?
Thanks Ernie

/ inline heater #9  
For those of you interested in block heaters, I got one for my YM1301D from Yanmar. The engine on my 1301D has two threaded plugs on the right (exhaust) side of the engine. The block heater threads into one of the holes. I think the rear one is more easily accessible, and I had no trouble installing it. I haven't had to use it yet even though the temperature went down to the teens. It still started with the thermostart.

I'll try to track down the Yanmar part number and post it here if anybody is interested. Its very slick - the pigtail wire even comes off so you don't have a cord hanging around.

Greg

/ inline heater #10  
You could rig up a timer which only has the function of turning off after 8 hours. You turn it on, and even if you forget it and decide not to use the tractor, it cycles off.