Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Default Re: Overheating

You wouldn't necessarily have to get a genuine Yanmar sender if you flat cant find one it could be something from another application that happened to be metric and screw in say a Honda or Toyota for instance.

You would have to take yours in and match it up but they can look the specs up on them and tell you what the temp range is for your information.

I am using a Toyota oil pressure sender on my 3810 simply because I have them on hand senders all work pretty much the same once you understand them fwtw.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Quote Originally Posted by BurningBushFarm View Post
    just scrolled down below this discussion and found this:
    Overheating Information
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/y...formation.html
    You found the real pros in that post. Three of the best, most experienced Yanmar dealers. They know what they are talking about.

Here's what Yanmar says. YM240 Operation Manual page 71:

IMPORTANT

The mixture ratio of anti-freeze must not exceed 40% to avoid overheating during the summer.

If you added anti-freeze more than 40%, drain coolant after the cold weather passes.

Determine the ratio according to the lowest expected temperature and instruction of its anti-freeze.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Car Doc View Post
    You wouldn't necessarily have to get a genuine Yanmar sender if you flat cant find one it could be something from another application that happened to be metric and screw in say a Honda or Toyota for instance.

You would have to take yours in and match it up but they can look the specs up on them and tell you what the temp range is for your information.

I am using a Toyota oil pressure sender on my 3810 simply because I have them on hand senders all work pretty much the same once you understand them fwtw.
    Agree. Yanmar used some of the same Hitachi peripherals that Datsun (Nissan) used back in the day. (Early ~ mid 70's when YM2000 was designed).

That light is nothing more than a boilover-anticipation warning. Seems to me that a generic sender for a Japanese car that also used a 13psi radiator cap (same boilover temperature) is sufficient. - Assuming that the threads, electrical connector, and how far the sensor extends into the coolant, are the same.

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Yup thats true I would also say most temp lights are calibrated around 215-225 degrees but that's a guess as to what Yanmar intended?

I forgot to mention that a bad connection could add more resistance to the circuit and throw it off also possibly causing it to light pre-maturely.

My tractor when I got it the oil light would constantly go on at a hot idle and it turned out to be a bad ground where the cowling is bolted to the floor pan the bolts were loose and there was paint all over insulating it.

Elite Member

Are you sure it's the temp light? You did not answer the question about enough water in the overflow bottle, it probably has it's own light. Running water through the rad does almost nothing. You need to BACKFLUSH the system. Disconnect the upper hose at the radiator. Stick a garden hose into the rad hose and seal as well as possible with shop rags. Remove the rad cap and turn on the water. Let the water run out the top of the rad until it runs clear. It should take the full force of the water, if clean. You may need to put plastic over the electrics. This goes for any water-cooled vehicle, except that if it has a t-stat it must be removed.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Norm, she has a ym2000, there is no light for the bottle. At least on mine and the others i think. You can run it with no bottle and let it overflow onto the ground and no light will ever come on. There is no wires or anything to the bottle, let alone to the front of the engine fwd of the fan, other than the headlights.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Yanmar 1610D

Like many other tractor owners here in WV we have steep hills and of course this means pushing our smaller compact tractors to their limits. When I first purchased my 1610D back in 2007, Wayne at LMTC suggested I use a product called Redline water wetter. I had never heard of it and began looking at some of the auto parts stores. Turned out that Advanced Auto carried it so I tried a bottle that summer. Take it from someone who uses it, it works. I stick with 70% water, 30% glycol, and add water wetter to the ratio suggested. Just follow the others advice on keeping everything clean and try this sometime, I think you will be pleased with the results. Link info is: Red Line Synthetic Oil - Water WetterŪ Coolant Additives
    Tell me I hear, Show me I see, Involve me I learn

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by clemsonfor View Post
    Norm, she has a ym2000, there is no light for the bottle. At least on mine and the others i think. You can run it with no bottle and let it overflow onto the ground and no light will ever come on. There is no wires or anything to the bottle, let alone to the front of the engine fwd of the fan, other than the headlights.
    Maybe just on the YM2000B.

Tractor

Norm you have the fancy modern version.

These earlier ones don't have gauges for fuel, for battery water, for the overflow tank (or even an overflow tank, on some of them), or a fuel shutoff solenoid, or a fuel lift pump, or a thermostat. Or a hydraulic filter (just a reusable wire mesh sieve). Or a no-start switch on the pto, or under the seat. I don't know if the clutch safety switch was on all of them. The YM2000's had water pumps but the next size smaller didn't.

I think this simplicity is why these are still pretty inexpensive to keep in running condition now.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Norm you have the fancy modern version.

These earlier ones don't have gauges for fuel, for battery water, for the overflow tank (or even an overflow tank, on some of them), or a fuel shutoff solenoid, or a fuel lift pump, or a thermostat. Or a hydraulic filter (just a reusable wire mesh sieve). Or a no-start switch on the pto, or under the seat. I don't know if the clutch safety switch was on all of them. The YM2000's had water pumps but the next size smaller didn't.

I think this simplicity is why these are still pretty inexpensive to keep in running condition now.
    yep, I'll have to add that to my list of things the YM2000B has that the YM2000 does not.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast