Starting issues YM2000

/ Starting issues YM2000 #21  
Decompression levers work on exhaust valves so any back pressure in the intake would be intake valves open on a compression stroke for whatever reason carbon/dirt/mouse nest whatever. good luck :thumbsup:

/ Starting issues YM2000 #23  
Just a little over an Hour for me I'm not far off 20. Know Augusta all to well. Nice City and Folks. I spent a couple of months in ICU. at MCG.

Carey

/ Starting issues YM2000 #24  
Cary are you around green county or somewhere near there, im not to good on my GA counties as for one i have never lived there and 2 there are like 2-3 for every one here in SC? I was thinking you were more from tocca or somewhere with NE georgia as a location.

/ Starting issues YM2000 #25  
I kind of wish clemsonfor. Toccoa is a nice area. Yrs. ago I use to live not far from there in Dillard Ga. Use to have to just about drive through Toccoa to get there from Atl. Still have alot of friends up there. I have a Monroe mailing addreess which is about 20 miles from Conyers and 20.

Carey

/ Starting issues YM2000
Ok so no luck. One of the guys that was out helping me pointed out that it seems like there is alot of black carbon type build-up un the intake (looking into the valve cover where the filter sits) Is this common for this tractor? He is pretty sure that it is a sign that the top end needs to be rebuilt and possibly that there is damage to the pistons/sleeves.

Any ideas on what to check? Is the next step really tearing down the head? If it is does anyone know of a video/tutorial or am I in over my head.

Does anyone know of a good place to take it in the Augusta/reasonable vicinity?

Thanks

/ Starting issues YM2000 #27  
I don't think you're in over your head, these things are very simple if you have a basic set of tools. Have you tried all of the things suggested yet, or at least some? Did the hair drier trick work? Have you tried jump starting it with a running car on the battery, for a little more spinning rpm?

Here's my logic: right now, it doesn't run. If you pull the head off, it won't run either, and by pulling the head all you will be able to tell is if there is really bad damage to the piston and/or cylinder walls. If there IS bad damage...it still won't run, and you'll have to tear it down further to fix it anyway.

If there isn't any easily visible damage, you're in a conundrum because you still don't know why it won't run, and putting it all back together puts you back at square one. I would say exhaust all your options that are currently available, and then start doing surgery.

Get a work light or halogen lamp and place it near or on the intake. Turn it on and leave it for an hour or so. Get everything nice and warm. If you are able, use a hair drier and just set it up to blow hot air toward and into the manifold. Connect your jumper cables to your car, get the car running, open activate the compression release, spin it for several seconds, then deactivate the compression release. Make sure the throttle is around the middle of its travel. It should fire up.

If you have decided that there is a condition that requires the engine to be rebuilt (Which I'm not convinced of yet, since it smokes a bit when you crank it), say you've tried the earlier sequence dozens of times and all hope is lost, then there's nothing to lose by doing this: With the air filter on normally, get the engine cranking with the decompression activated. With a can of starter fluid, give the quickest possible burst you can toward the air intake. Not INTO, but toward it. The vapors should be enough to combust, and you'll hear the engine try to fire and sound like it's coming apart. If you can't get it to even try on starter fluid, then the compression isn't as good as it seemed to be.

I really think you'll be able to get it running, even if you rebuild it yourself. These are very simple to take apart and put together, and there is a wealth of knowledge among the members here. You can do it!

/ Starting issues YM2000 #28  
Soot in the intake is also created by the Thermostart so I'm not convinced that soot means anything.

Also - if the Thermostart is in working condition, making a flame in the intake like shown in that link, then it seems to me that spraying ether into it would make a nice boom.