PBY Power Beyond & Detent Valve question

/ PBY Power Beyond & Detent Valve question #1  

thallman

Tractor
Mahindra 7060 4WD
Hey, newbie here. I have a (hopefully) quick question.

Tractor: Yanmar 336
Application: Log splitter
Tapping into divider block to set up rear remote hydraulics.
Manual calls for a auxiliary valve with five ports: IN, OUT, A, B, PBY.

I have the schematics.

Therefore, Does PBY stand for power beyond?

Also, has anyone found a single spool valve with a PBY and a pressure detent?

I want to press the lever backwards to detent untill the cyclinder is completely retracted so I don't have to hold it.

Part numbers would be great. So far, after talking with Surplus Center, the fellow said he didn't know of a single spool power beyond valve with a pressure detent. I know they must exist! What are you fellows using in this situation?

THANKS!
-Thomas

Last edited:
   / PBY Power Beyond & Detent Valve question #2  
i have a single spool with detente like you want. got it at surplus center about 5 years ago.

did you tell them its for a log splitter?

they called mine a log splitter valve

mines hooked up to a 1996 John Deere 870 (Yanmar). To get power beyond, i had to add JD's power beyond kit which entailed splitting the hydraulics at the mounting block under the tractor and adding the new kit in front of the old one. Hard to describe but easy to do. kit had full instructions. took about 30 minutes. removing the seat took the longest. No tube cutting was involved. just replaced old bolts with newer longer bolts to hold thing together.

then theres a hose loop on the power beyond kit. simply unhook hose, install hoses to log splitter, done.

when finished with splitter, replace looped hose, back to original operation.
I added an additional 2 spool non detente valve on the right rear fender that hooks into the power beyond. this allows for my chute deflector on the snowblower.

/ PBY Power Beyond & Detent Valve question
Thanks, unfortuently, I ordered this valve yesterday because it said "open-center" but it apparently won't work because it doesn't have a "PBY" port -- or maybe it will and I'm just ignorant of how to make it work. Anyways, like I said earlier I need a five port valve (PBY) with a detent--don't want to hold the lever to retract the hydraulic wood splitter cyclinder.

If I can't use this valve and someone else can let me know I paid $110 + $14 shipping for it. Northern Tool wants me to pay return shipping + a 15% restocking fee! That stinks!

I would of course, be willing to trade for a valve as described above or that would work in my situation.

Anyone out there with more thoughts on this?

/ PBY Power Beyond & Detent Valve question #4  
this is the spool i used
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-1262&catname=hydraulic

i have it on my splitter and it has worked fine. it has detent for raising the cyllinder.

it just allows the hyd fluid to pass tight on thru it until i move the lever, then it bypasses the fluid to my cyllinder. its for double acting cyllinder, and its $70.00

im not too sure what you bean by the 5th port saying PBY??

the valve doewsnt need a power beyond port. its a open center valve, so the fluid just passes thru unless you move the handle. are you sure this isnt supposed to be the pressure release adjustment??? for the detent

Attachments

• splitter 3.jpg
    splitter 3.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
   / PBY Power Beyond & Detent Valve question #5  
also, here are some kind of crummy camera phone pics of my power beyond system. im sure your yanmar is similar

Attachments

• 0308111550.jpg
    0308111550.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 436
  • 0308111550a.jpg
    0308111550a.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 635
  • 0308111551.jpg
    0308111551.jpg
    696.8 KB · Views: 412
   / PBY Power Beyond & Detent Valve question
This is the reason why I "need" a PBY port. So says the service manual.

Yanmar336_hyd2.gif