LIft Arms don't go down

/ LIft Arms don't go down #1  

LarryHD

Tractor
Yanmar 1300 D
Replaced battery in my Yanmar 1300 D today, got it running, tilled about 1/5th of an acre, and came in for a drink. While working it seemed as if the tiller would progressively take longer time to drop into position as I started a new row. I got my drink, came back and I couldn't even push it down now. Shut it down and it wouldn't drop, unless i pushed the handle into the raise position then it would jump down a bit at a time. I checked the fluid, it was very milky, drained it all and put about 9 quarts back in as per the specs. Still wouldn't go down hardly at all, It would raise up without any problem. So it doesn't appear to be a pump problem, haven't located the filter or strainer yet. But it seems like a valve is stuck. Help would be great.

/ LIft Arms don't go down #2  
I dont know anything about yanmars, but do you have a drop rate valve (knob) at the bottom of the seat, most tractors do, and it is possible that you have accidently rotated it with your foot or leg? if you close that valve, or nearly so it will drop real slow or not a all.

James K0UA

/ LIft Arms don't go down #3  
It may also be possible that the valve is clogged or obstructed with contaminants or debris. The milky fluid is suspicious sounding.

/ LIft Arms don't go down #4  
It may also be possible that the valve is clogged or obstructed with contaminants or debris. The milky fluid is suspicious sounding.

Yeah, that dont sound real good, I guess if water got in, so could dirt!

/ LIft Arms don't go down #5  
As mentioned have you tried to turn this T-knob, this will control the rate speed of lift, and also will lock the implement when shut all the way off, usually it is gravity down, unless of course there is a problem with the valve, which i found was the case with problem my lift had, It needed the rubber 0-ring on the plunger/piston in the valve replaced;)

Last edited:
   / LIft Arms don't go down
I don't have a valve where indicated, however I see one on the right side, is this the one for a 1300 D? I pulled the strainer, I believe I need a new one based upon the amount of metal missing.

/ LIft Arms don't go down
Checked the valve on the side of the seat, with filter off, I rotated the valve 2 revolutions, tried the handle, it the arms moved slightly, moved it back to the position it was in, tried the handle, it dropped the tiller all the way down. Perhaps I dislodged some junk. I read in another post about using diesel to clean it. I suppose I have to seal the system and run it for a few minutes, just pouring diesel in would only affect a small portion of the system. Is it going to do any harm to circulate the diesel?

/ LIft Arms don't go down #9  
Does anyone know where to buy a complete head for a Yanmar 1700? Rebuilt or salvage?

/ LIft Arms don't go down #10  
Larry, I wouldn't run any diesel through the system. It's got water in the hydraulics, that's why it's milky, as you know. If you want to, pull the valve off and just clean it, whether by soaking or whatever. I imagine it's just corrosion from the water. Drain the fluid, then run a bit of diesel into the transmission, without it running, to flush any leftover water in the sump. Let that all drain, then fill with fresh hydraulic fluid. Clean/replace that strainer you said is missing pieces. I bet it works fine again.

Make sure you have a well-sealed boot over the gear selector. Water leaks in through a damaged/missing boot, and contaminates the fluid.