Comparing info from 2 dealers

/ Comparing info from 2 dealers #1  

rlsmith017

First posting here, looking for information on grey-market Yanmars. This forum is packed with information but there are a couple of things I am unclear about.

I have talked to two dealers, both in the Atlanta area.

Dealer #1 is selling refurbished Yanmars. According to the dealer they have new paint, radiator, belts, etc, but no engine work has been done. They are refurbished in the NE Atlanta area and the FEL that is installed is a VS2 or VS3 model. The dealer says that no engine work is necessary because they are rated by the Japanese government as Class A tractors with less than 600 hours. They have a 6-month warranty.

Dealer #2 is selling refurbished Yanmars. According to the dealer they have all the above plus the engine &drivetrain have been disassembled, new rings etc installed, in a plant near Huntsville. They have Koyker loaders and come with a one-year warranty.

The same model (2610D) is about $2000 higher at dealer #2 than at Dealer #1.
My questions:

Am I safe in assuming that dealer #1 is selling Vietnamese tractors with basic maintenance plus cosmetic work?

Am I safe in assuming that dealer #2 is selling tractors refurbished/rebuilt by Fredericks?

Is there any such thing as a rating by the Japanese government based on the number of hours on the tractor?

Any information would be appreciated!

Roger

/ Comparing info from 2 dealers #3  
I would say your assumptions are correct. russ

/ Comparing info from 2 dealers #4  
I would assume that you are talking to All pro, (in lawrenceville? ) NE side of ATL which is dealer #1 and your talking to spalding tractors and steve on the south side as dealer #2. I would trust Spalding or dealer 2 first as theirs are done at Fredricks in ALAbama, the best yanmar rebuild place Aa far as im concerned.

/ Comparing info from 2 dealers #5  
This is the first time reading TBN since fall 2003 that I have seen an assertion that the Japanese government rates tractors before export. (to VN??? :D )

I have to assume that whoever told you that, makes up lies for everything they say.

I have read that Yanmar-Japan doesn't sell any parts to the VN shops who claim to do 'factory overhaul' so that makes you wonder what do they use instead?

A VN refurb is a gamble, some buyers win, some lose. I think the Fredricks-sourced Yanmars are far less of a gamble, at an appropriately higher price. Your call. If I needed it to make my living then Fredricks would be my choice. For hobby farm use where a month of downtime wouldn't have an economic impact, gambling and saving $2k might make sense. If 'pride of ownership' is meaningful then Fredricks - or just buy something new.

My own personal taste is even more cheapskate. I own two US Yanmars that were near beat to death by American farmers. They are probably equivalent to what goes into the VN refurb factories. The YM240 (YM2000) has been flawless after a month of minor tinkering when I bought it - servicing, battery, seat, etc. The second Yanmar YM186D cost about half of one in excellent condition and I will probably have $1k additional into it, before I expect it will need nothing more for several years. And both look shabby compared to those reconditioned tractors. Total cost for both is $thousands below a VN refurb. My use is mostly non-critical, cleaning up storm debris etc where a delay would be harmless. Everyone's needs are different.

/ Comparing info from 2 dealers #6  
First posting here, looking for information on grey-market Yanmars. This forum is packed with information but there are a couple of things I am unclear about.

I have talked to two dealers, both in the Atlanta area.

Dealer #1 is selling refurbished Yanmars. According to the dealer they have new paint, radiator, belts, etc, but no engine work has been done. They are refurbished in the NE Atlanta area and the FEL that is installed is a VS2 or VS3 model. The dealer says that no engine work is necessary because they are rated by the Japanese government as Class A tractors with less than 600 hours. They have a 6-month warranty.

Dealer #2 is selling refurbished Yanmars. According to the dealer they have all the above plus the engine &drivetrain have been disassembled, new rings etc installed, in a plant near Huntsville. They have Koyker loaders and come with a one-year warranty.

The same model (2610D) is about $2000 higher at dealer #2 than at Dealer #1.
My questions:

Am I safe in assuming that dealer #1 is selling Vietnamese tractors with basic maintenance plus cosmetic work?

Am I safe in assuming that dealer #2 is selling tractors refurbished/rebuilt by Fredericks?

Is there any such thing as a rating by the Japanese government based on the number of hours on the tractor?

Any information would be appreciated!

Roger

there is NO RATING by japanese goverment..... Tom Fredericks is a good tractor man.we met 8yrs a go.he came to hoquiam wa.we got a semi load of implements.