Chains Rice Tires and Chains

/ Rice Tires and Chains #1  

MarkStewart

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1401
Has anyone installed tire chains on rice tires? If so how do they work? Do I need to install turfs to install chains?
Thanks

/ Rice Tires and Chains #2  
I've never installed chains on rice tires, but I have heard from others that have that it does not work well. You'll end up with not much chain being trapped between the rubber and the road. Apparently turfs work best with chains.

/ Rice Tires and Chains #3  
I would imagine that, due to the tread design of rice tires, they would work about the same, with or without chains. The chain would probably act like just another tread between the normal treads.

/ Rice Tires and Chains #4  
You need an "H" chain on high tread tires. Please be careful if you use chains though I have a couple friends missing fingers. Chains will reach up and grab you. Our neighbor had a tire chain break while he was backing up and it smacked him in the face. Broke his jaw. Inspect them carefully before each use.

/ Rice Tires and Chains #5  
I certainly have not had the need for chains on rice tires. I have used my YM1301D in a foot of snow, slush, and hard pack and have had no problem plowing the white stuff with a front blade. I suppose that without 4wd, I might need chains, but I rather doubt it.

/ Rice Tires and Chains #6  
I think the biggest advantage is on ice. We used O ring skidder chains on the tractors at the ranch and we welded small pieces of rebar on each O ring to add traction. We had enough ice sometimes where that was almost not enough to keep the tractor from falling in a canyon.

/ Rice Tires and Chains #7  
<font color=red>Has anyone installed tire chains on rice tires? If so how do they work? Do I need to install turfs to install chains?

As agressive a tread as a rice tire is, I can't imagine a chain doing much for it.. kinda like putting chains on a paddle track ( like a bull dozer undercarriage, etc.. )..

Soundguy

/ Rice Tires and Chains
I was worried about the mixture of slush/ice that coats my driveway and the fact that it's on a hill might give me problems. Also the tractor I'm getting is 2wd and lightweight,
(1401) from what I understand. :)

/ Rice Tires and Chains #9  
I put "H" chains on my tractor 9.5-24 and they do help in the icey/slushy conditions. Most of the chain ends up between the lugs, but with the "H" design you get a bite of chain every foot or so that has made a big difference to me on flat ground in 4wd! Those rice tires are made for mud and dirt - they don't do well in icey slushy conditions. that's my story at least!

/ Rice Tires and Chains #10  
I have chains on my rice tires on my 2220D. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif The chains are around 50 years old and in great shape. They were for my great uncles B IH. I have one cross chain per lug with one link carring the most weight. Using the back blade in snow I see little difference. On ice no slippage. Ice had been cutting my tires some, now its not. Safety is very improtant when using chains, they will grab anything! Stress will break any chain regardless of age, have experience in this department. Use your head for thinking, not catching flying objects. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Jim