Had a banner week this week...

/ Had a banner week this week...
There are no big block or small blocks in the Pontiac world. They're just blocks. All the same external dimensions, only difference is the bore size and the main crank journal diameter. All heads post 1966 will interchange on any block. Valve size being the only thing to worry about on some combinations. Very similar to the GM LS-x design they use now.

Not a Pontiac motor going in.

Attachments

• CP3.4.21.11.jpg
    CP3.4.21.11.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 156
My "old" 1970 GTO I built years ago.... It's now residing in England.

Attachments

• LV510.9.03.jpg
    LV510.9.03.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 143
  • EFI Engine 3.JPG
    EFI Engine 3.JPG
    357.9 KB · Views: 150
  • GTO 1.JPG
    GTO 1.JPG
    364.5 KB · Views: 171
   / Had a banner week this week... #13  
Yannyman, your old car is/was gorgeous. I've seen it, or one virtually identical, in a magazine long ago. Mine was optioned with Judge stripes, but was a very early car, so came with the '69 Judge stripes, rather than the eyebrow stripes.

I love the picture pulling the tires off the ground and the frame torquing.

So, it looks like an LS series engine? Are you keeping the air conditioning?

Not an ls engine either. Car will have ac and heat as well as power steering, windows, locks, rear window defrost, 05' GTO seats, C6 ZO6 brakes all the way around, ect.

/ Had a banner week this week... #15  
Not an ls engine either. Car will have ac and heat as well as power steering, windows, locks, rear window defrost, 05' GTO seats, C6 ZO6 brakes all the way around, ect.

I like the way you think (outside the box) I'm a bit of an old car person myself, I never restore a car to its original condition,more on the line of customizing them;), and when taking them around to cars shows i would hear about it too,:cool: Folks would say this "ain't the way it's supposed to be" and It would be worth more if was all original..... my reply would be I'm not in it for the money but more so for the fun, and to have a car the way I like it to be, a way that the factory didn't think about or have technology to do in that era of time,
I'm a ( Mopar man ) and like getting my hands hold to A-bodies and customizing them:thumbsup:

so are you looking at a 389 Stroker EFI :D

A car is original once. That's it. Once it's gone, it's gone. I bought this car as a body shell, frame and doors, so it would cost justvas much to have a non-matching number "correct" car as one that is cool ad different.

And no, its not a stroker. Factory bore and stroke.

/ Had a banner week this week... #17  
i did the same many years ago,bought a 1 owner 1958 FC Holden(GM) with 68k miles owned by a 96 year old gent who bought it new.i wanted to restore it but ended up modifying it to the hilt.spent an absolute fortune on it (but had fun in the process) and when i sold it years later to my brother he got it for next to nothing (and destroyed it non the less) so yep if thats what you want... do it.

Here's the new one a she currently sits. Last year we roughed in the quarters, rockers, firewall corners, and floor patches. It's not at ride hieght yet, I was just playing around before we paved my driveway. It will most likely be lower than this.

Going to the shop in a week or two to get the body off the frame, all the welding finsihed, and the body sandblasted and put in primer.

Then we'll fit the engine and trans (if the trans comes in in time) and that will probably be it for this year. I only do a little bit every year as the budget permits.

Attachments

• 5.12.10CoilCut.jpg
    5.12.10CoilCut.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 120
   / Had a banner week this week... #19  
It's coming along nicely-I like the big brakes!

I'm foiled so far ID'ing your engine. It isn't an LS, which would be the presumed conversion. It's a V configuration, and it's not Pontiac. 860 ft-lbs of torque means it is a forced induction motor, but doesn't mean it is in that configuration currently. There isn't anything to decisively say one way or the other, though there is what looks like blue silicone tubing with wire clamps at the top of the photograph, that may be supercharger ducting. That probably means aftermarket equipment.

To someone more knowledgeable than me, the placement of the A/C compressor in the valley would mean something. It looks the same as the A/C compressor on my GMC. The webbed aluminum casting means fairly recent production (less than 20 years old). It's a takeout engine.

It's hard to tell, but the valve covers appear too narrow for an overhead cam engine. That means it's not Mercedes, BMW, Ford, Jaguar, Toyota, Nissan, or Northstar/Aurora etc, but the power steering pump's reservoir has a cap that "looks" like it's from an import. The A/C pump and other things are in the wrong spot for it to be a new Hemi.

It wouldn't seem to make sense to build an LT1-type engine.

I'm stumped. Can you give us (me) a better picture, or a hint? Please?

What transmission?

4L85E.

The torque amount and rpm should indicate the type of fuel being burned above all else...