Had a banner week this week...

/ Had a banner week this week... #1  

YannyMan

Silver Member
Tractor
(3) YM146's, 1 GT14
Started out with the new engine for my 1970 GTO damaged during shipment. All kinds of parts broken, the **** thing rolled over on the tractor trailer and the shipping company tried to hide it. Luckily, my guy saw it while it was still in their warehouse and they're on the hook for it, but the poor guy that sold it to me is out all kinds of $ untill the company pays him.

Since it's going to rain this weekend, I figured I'd fire up the YM146 and throw the YCm60 on it and cut the lawn. The deck fought me the whole time, then suddenly installed like it was nothing just before I was going to quit.

I fire up the engine, low idle it, flip the PTO switch.... Nothing. I give it sdome throttle and it starts spinning, but then stops again. Never spins again, no matter what I did. So much for cutting the lawn.

I'm hanging it up for the night other than trying to get some tech help. It's been a long, long week.

/ Had a banner week this week... #2  
Ugh, sounds like a rough week. You have my sympathy.

What kind of motor did you have built? I've got an '70 goat as well; it has a 400 in it, and (unfortunately) an automatic. You can see it in the background of some of my pictures.

/ Had a banner week this week... #3  
Sounds like you need to rewind this week and start over:cool:
does your unit have an electric PTO ? if so did you by chance have to jump start the tractor? we have 2 lawn tractors, Cub Cadet and the latest addition an older Roper, Both with electric PTO's, and if the battery is down the PTO's will not kick on, and trying to run them directly off the charging system does not work either, not enough charge amps to maintain the operation of the PTO, ;)

/ Had a banner week this week...
Thanks 284. The engine that's going in it never came in a 70'.

I do have an electric PTO and I did have to jump start the tractor. I've been charging the batttery for a good hour now and I just went to make sure the gap was correct on the clutches (thanks Gary Jamieson). I adjusted the clutches and tried again, this time with the battery almost fully charged.

Nothing.

Gary also told me the resistance on the PTO side of the plug should be between 3.2 and 2.8 if its new or in good shape. Anything less and it will work intermittently, which is what this thing is doing. There were two occasions last year when it stopped on me, but then it got going again. Now I just need an Ohm meter, but it sounds like my coil is no good.

/ Had a banner week this week... #5  
So.....what's the engine? :D

/ Had a banner week this week...
Its a secret.. :drool:

Think 850ftlbs at around 2000 rpm..

/ Had a banner week this week... #7  
Aw, come on...don't be like that! Betcha it's a Duramax conversion..... :laughing:

/ Had a banner week this week... #9  
those electric clutches always give grief,apparently they can be rewound.and i reckon the GTO motor is a 455 big block.....

/ Had a banner week this week... #10  
Neat 1500, in '70 the GTOs were available with several varieties of 400 cubic inch motors and the 455. Parts interchange for the most part between everything from the 326 up to 455. So even the "little" 326 is kind of a big block.

He said his new engine wasn't available in a '70. 421? 389? Were we speculating for real I'd guess it's a forced induction 428, or a 428 crank in a 455 block (seems like that's around 440cid?).

Come on, Yannyman, not even a teaser photo? :D

I hope you fix the clutch. I've never even seen one of those, so have no suggestion.