Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #111  
The generator is a Powerchief, powered by a generic 186f chinese 10hp diesel (Yanmar copy), I rebuilt it because it suffered compression loss due to piston land failure which resulted from excessive carbon build up in the combustion chamber and eventual failure of the PCV system. Who ever assembled the thing originally in China obviously thought that valve stem oil seals were optional, so they didn't bother fitting any - which was okay for a short while until the oil dribbling down the valve stem found its way into the combustion chamber and was converted to carbon. Total failure would have occurred somewhere around 300 hours.
When I rebuilt the engine (about 404cc I think), I upgraded the valve train mount, fitted an hour meter, assembled it with new Viton valve stem seals, used a torque wrench for everything, lightly honed the bore to provide correct clearance for the new piston, end-gapped the rings, checked all the clearances, utrasonically cleaned the injector and pump etc., and now only run it on BMW spec LL4 fully synthetic engine oil. If you heard it run now you would not believe it was the same engine - even my wife (who just thinks an engine is a big noisy thing with oil in it) has commented on the difference.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #112  
I'm impressed. Other that a great amount of time......how many $$$ did this engine improvment/rebuild cost you?

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #113  
Under $250, including the hour meter, new gaskets, seals, piston, rings, conrod, gudgeon, ancilliaries and oil.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #114  
David, from whom did you get these parts? My unit is almost new, only have 4 hours on it. I will check the stem seals (if any) when I adjust the valves at 20 hours.....(I guess I could do it much sooner)
Aurora says they have parts readily available but if I start ordering parts they know I'm going inside the engine which would void any warranty....
Hmmmm, too bad that an IMPROVMENT would void a warranty.
I'm suprised that they want an "owner clutz" adjusting the valves.:laughing:

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #115  
I had to manufacture most of the gaskets myself, with the exception of the crankcase side gasket (ebay seller jeremy1708), conrod, piston, rings and gudgeon (ebay seller anomixtan) generator brushes (ebay seller dartguy77), Curtis Hour Meter (ebay seller freightfinders) sundry parts from a local bearing supplier and automotive part supply co. Fortunately I have a fairly well equipped engineering workshop and was able to do the ultrasonic cleaning plus all the fitting and honing myself.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #116  
Hello everyone!

I came back to Mallorca to make a final effort to fix my Chinese generator. It started all right but no current even with a new AVR. I checked the individual vindings but got no tension there! :(
Finally I gave up and bought a new Generator with a genuine Yanmar L100 engine and a Italian Linz alternator.:cool:
I would not start at first but I stayed calm and drained the fuel tube from air after which it started without further problems. It is now running without any smoke, which is more than you could say about the old generator.
The price was off course substantially higher than the Chinese clone 2200 euro or about 2600$ but I suppose that you have to pay for quality!:2cents:
It is an open frame generator so it is noisier than the old silenced one. But it was not very disturbing as it is placed in a generator shed built of concrete blocks.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones
Install it the chinese enclosure.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones
I just purchased a new genuine yanmar crankshaft & cam on E-bay for either my L90 or L100 that are both waiting for a rebuild. Still looking for 1 connecting rod & an 1st oversize piston for the L90 and L100.
I also still have the silent chinese generator mentioned in this forum and I think I will try swapping the Yanmar into the chinese enclosure when the rebuild is complete.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #119  
I've had my silent chinese diesel generator for over 6 years and I've kept a log of issues and repairs. I'm completely satisfied with mine. I cannot remember the "brand" of mine, but it was a frequently seen maker in 2006. Here are my comments in 1600 hours of use:

I've had this unit since July 2006. I did engine break-in for 10 hours at light loads using rotella 15w40. I change oil at 100 hours and clean the oil filter/screen. It has been used for power in remote locations on some timber acreage, storm back up and as a power unit on my truck and my garage (which has no utility service. It currently has 1030 hours on it with a few failures along the way. I had to replace the voltage regulator. I relocated it outside the alternator so it would be cooler. The low oil shut down circuit board burned up and stopped the unit. The board is not available where I could find one, so I bypassed the oil pressure switch. The ignition switch broke and was replaced with a universal one from the auto part store. I've cleaned the injector at the local diesel pump shop every 500 hours. In three years i've used 3 lawn and garden batteries.

With 1030 hours it doesn't smoke or use oil. It does leak a very little bit from the valve cover. Overall the genset has been good. The cabinet is very well made and sturdy; a real surprise. The wheels stink, but they work. The engine and generator head have performed well. The biggest glitch is the cheap electrical components like the sockets, switches, indicator lamp/led. Tie up all the wires with nylon zip ties and replace the cheap parts as they fail and you'll be fine.Most stuff can be found at home depot or an auto store. Great item if you need reliable power and fuel efficiency. It burns 1/3 gallon per hour at half load. I'd buy another one if I did n't have this one.

Update May 2011: I have about 1300 hours on my unit and I'm told this is near the service life of a good unit. I recently replaced the voltage meter on the front panel (I got a combined voltage/ Hz meter so I can monitor the 60cycle current from the generator. I also had to replace the engine magneto charging regulator. That's the thing that charges the starter battery. The regulatyor died and it ran until the battery was dead and shut off the fuel. Once replaced it ran great again. I'm still changing oil every 100 hours and cleaning the filter screen. No metal particles in it yet. i know some folks have gotten a bad unit, but mine has been very good except for the cheap electrical components. I'va about replaced them all with better stuff. I'd buy it again if mine quit.

Update April 2012: 1500+ hours and still going strong. I have a new oil leak from the injector pump/engine case gasket. It's not a bad leak, just some oil and a drip trail. No oil puddle. I'll get a gasket and fix it later. I'm still changing oil and cleaning the filter at 100 hours. I found an ebay seller that had the oil shutdown circuit and ignition switch, so I replaced the parts on mine that failed years ago. Now my low oil pressure shutdown works again. That makes me feel better. The unit got a good workout in January with the terrible tornados that hit my area in Alabama. It kept my house operating for the 5 days we did not have power. The 220v was enough to power my gas furnace, fridge, lights, TV, coffee maker, stove/oven. It used one gallon of diesel every 2.5 hours with it loaded. I spent about $80.00 for fuel for those 5 days. Not sure how many watts I was using - it varied considerable and I turned it off whenever possible. I have a 2 stroke 1000 watt portable generator and I used that after dinner. I was enough to power a few lights and our TV until bedtime.

I must have a good one, and I take good care of it. It has chugged along with very little trouble for SIX years. No indication it will stop either. I certainly got my money's worth when I bought this unit.

Update November 2012: I had to replace the battery again last week with yuasa sla12v-18. When the battery gets weak it won't start without the compression release, which it has but is hard to use. Mine does not have an access door on top (some do) and I have to remove the air filter cover to reach it. There should be a lever to active it on the front panel, but they did not design that in. I've seen a few on ebay recently that had a reserve pull starter on the end, and that would be a welcomed addition if I were shopping today. The digital HZ meter I added last year has been a good modification and I like being able to see both volts and HZ at the same time. Ive recently tried burning used filtered motor oil and transission fluid mixed 50/50 with diesel fuel in order to get rid of my jugs of old oil. So far this has worked ou well. There's a little bit of smoke at start-up, but it doesn't seem to have any negative side affects. it makes my fuel costs lower and I don't have to cary the dirty jugs to the oil change place. I had the injector cleaned after about 50 hours of burning this mix fuel and it was normal spray pattern. I have had the injector cleaned every 500 hours at a local diesel shopanyway and i was curious if the used oil would plug the injector. no problems to report. the clock shows 1650 hours and still running well with regular maintinance and 100 hr oil changes.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #120  
I don't own a chinese diesel and after reading this whole thread, am sure not motivated to take a chance on one. Unreal amount of things break, parts are hard to get and one has to be a serious mechanic to fix these things.
I'm amazed at the patience and ingenuity you guys have persevering with these motors.

But... I am seriously interested in air cooled diesels. Kohler is now pushing a line of small diesels that HAVE to have better reliability than what I've read here, and for triple, or more, the price I'm sure.
So if anyone has any experience with the Kohler units or perhaps the Hatz motors, I hope you will chime in. If you search air cooled diesel on YouTube, there are a remarkable amount of engines out there, many now obsolete, but even V8's.