Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 750

Default Re: Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones

In case anyone is truly interested, my diesel silent generator with 1650 hours is a Fuzhou Launtop-made unit with a 6500 watt surge and 5500 watt constant load generator head.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Long 360

I have been considering one of the 4 different 10hp clone engines on ebay.

There is about 150.00 difference, yet i have no clue which is the better engine. I seller offers new and used parts on ebay as well.

I ask of you who have and know these engines which i should look at.

I understand if you slow them down a bit they do better. This is a air compressor application, But i could put it to other uses too.

DS

Tractor
    Yanmar 3550

Quote Originally Posted by frazer1 View Post
    In case anyone is truly interested, my diesel silent generator with 1650 hours is a Fuzhou Launtop-made unit with a 6500 watt surge and 5500 watt constant load generator head.
    Frazer1, I live in your area, and I would like to know where you bought your diesel generator. I can't find one locally.

Tractor
    John Deere 750

I bought my Launtop genset from a fellow in Lynchburgh TN. He was an ebay seller in 2006 and I bought a 6500 watt gas set, a 6500 watt diesel set, and 2 of those 1000 watt two-stroke sets. All were good units. I was able to drive there and pick them up in my wife's minivan.Not having to pay freight shipping was one reason I bought so many. He's not there anymore. I drove past his place earlier this year while on another trip around Sewanee and the house and shop were empty. There are sellers in Georgia that are not far and make an easy drive from Alabama.

Tractor
    Yanmar 3550

Thanks frazer1, I will google it and see if I can find on in Georgia.

Tractor
    John Deere 750

Hi,

I decided to buy replacement spares for the injector and injection pump. There seems to be more than one kind of injector available. I have run across injectors with male threaded fuel line, injectors with female threaded fuel line, and square shoulder and taper shoulder where the injector seats in the head with the little copper washer. Has anyone discovered this or had any experience with replacing the injector?

I've had mine our for cleaning/checking spray pattern 3-4 times, but I never had to buy a new one and I don't want to get the wrong injector. What's the difference between them - other than what I already described.

Thanks,
    Frazer1

Tractor
    Yanmar/clone bobber

Quote Originally Posted by ALABAMAOFFGRID View Post
    Thanks frazer1, I will google it and see if I can find on in Georgia.
    Just came across this forum when doing research joined to answer your question.

There is a seller in Gainsville Ga who sells the yanmar clone engines, he is on ebay as "newdyne" I believe.

I don't know if he sells gensets

I purchased a 10hp clone from him for my triumph diesel bobber here:
    JMCmotion Project: Black Eye - YouTube

Tractor
    kubota L3010

I bought my AURORA diesel gen from the CANADIAN company via on-line and telephone. (I asked lots of questions about warranties and parts) ANYWAY, they shipped it to ATLANTA for free and charged a $25 warehouse fee when I picked it up. It was in a 2X3X3 thin plywood box and weighed about 360lbs. I had a trailer. It seems like quality built and starts/runs well. It is LOUD.

Tractor
    60's Ford

Sorry guys, I replied and got really busy afterwards and forgot to revisit here. Thanks for the answers to my questions back on pg 11.

Anyway, I have another question if you don't mind. I noticed that someone here talked about how he rebuilt the engine himself and did it the right way and the engine runs fantastic. Is this the main reason for the problems with these Chinese engines in the first place? Or does it have to do with the cheapness of the parts? I want to get my genset back up and running but don't want to spend the time to rebuild it if the parts are to blame.

My generator (Aurora silent 6500) gave up finally (not sure what's up but there's a lot of metal in the oil now, so I am guessing main/connecting rod bearings are lunched) and I want to rebuild it the right way. Yanmar genuine parts are too expensive I found out but I worry about the Chinese stuff also. I'm an experienced engine rebuilder and have done anything from diesel box truck motors to mopeds so don't worry about the know how.

Thanks a bunch!

Tractor
    Iseki TX1300F/TX1500/ TX2160F/TS2220F/ Satoh S373D

I bought one of the Launtop 186F engines and can't speak much towards its long-term reliability as it only has about four hours on it. The only real problem I'm having is it cannot reach rated speed of 3600 rpm. It can do about 3250 rpm before sputtering/missing/white/light gray smoke. I checked the timing and adjusted the valve clearance. Timing was right on the money. Valve clearance was a little loose at 0.009-0.011" vs. the 0.006" as specified. It may have something to do with the higher elevation I'm at (6200' asl). I'm thinking the intake is insufficient to allow the high flow rates required at the higher speeds but can't confirm for sure. I suppose if I put a gauge on the intake and see what it's doing at the higher rpm that would help but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention an interesting comparison of these engines I thought about recently. In additon to the Launtop 418 cc diesel, I also have a 419cc China-Honda knockoff (model XP16HPE) in a generator unit. Both engines are the basically the same displacement (the gasoline engine has a slightly larger bore and shorter stroke) and operate at the same rated speed. The gas engine is 16hp@3600rpm according to Maxtool.com, the Launtop I'm finding has multiple claims at various speeds. Some sources say 10 hp@3600 rpm and 8.6hp@3000 rpm. If you look at the performance curves (attached), the speed and torque ratings don't add up to the correct hp ratings. For example, the claimed torque at 3600 rpm is about 25Nm. Since power is speed x torque that equates to about 12.7hp after you do all the conversions, so I'm not sure what to think on its actual output. I do find it surprising the gasoline engine is rated at 16hp at the same speed though. According to Maxtool.com, the XP16HPE has torque output of 21 ft*lbs which is more than the diesel has. However, if the gasoline engine has 16 hp@3600 rpm, the actual torque should be more like 23.3 ft*lbs (at 3600 rpm). So either my math is wrong or none of this makes much sense.

Gasoline engines do appear in general to have more power available for the same displacement but this appears to be primarily due to being rated at higher speeds which diesels don't typically attain. With that in mind, I find it hard to believe a gasoline engine at the same speed and displacement puts out more power than a diesel and in this case, even more maximum torque. Thoughts?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    One nice thing about being average is you're not alone.

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast