Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones
There are two versions of these engines, L100 AE-DE which turns CW (normal) and L100 AE-SE which turns backwards and has the optional 1/2 speed PTO off the cam.
It's possible you installed the wrong starter which is turning the engine the wrong way.
Regular starter # is 114362-77010 starter (S114-414AA)
Reverse rotation starter #114351-77010 starter (S114-413A)
90cummins

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #142  
Bingo, 90cummins hit it on the head. I just got back from the shop. I put the old starter back on and it hit in two rev. That could have been an expensive lesson.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #143  
I have a Yanmar clone, 10HP aircooled with electric start. I can't seem to get it to light off. I got this lightly used, but haven't been able to get it started. Have followed fuel flow from tank to injector, including pulling the pump, making sure rack is engaged, pulling injector, checking pattern and cleaning. All looks fine. Electric starter and manual cord can't get it going. I do get smoke and good compression. Valves are working, and compression release is functioning. I have warmed the block with a heater and put hot air into the air intake, to no avail. Any help greatly appreciated!!

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #144  
What color is the smoke when you try to start it?

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #145  
Did you check the return line? If there is air it would cause this issue.......sounded good in my head

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #146  
I have black smoke, so there is a sign of life, and as I crank it over, it generally speeds up as it warms, but it never catches or knocks from combustion. I don't have it hooked up to a generator. It's stand alone at the moment on my snow blower, with no pulleys connected. I've jumped it off a 12v car battery to keep the revs up, and I don't crank longer than 10 seconds at a time and don't let the motor get over-heated.

I haven't checked the fuel return line, but not sure that's critical if the injector is putting out good fuel pattern. I have pulled the valve cover, but will check valve clearance and injection timing next. All appears normal (valves moving, good injector pattern, good compression, signs of smoke), so I'm a bit perplexed. I have 3 weeks left on warranty, so just want to give it the best chance I can.

On a separate note, if this is indeed a Yanmar clone, would it be possible to replace the bearings, camshaft, valves and other critical components which are subject to fail due to poor metal with a Yanmar part if the specs were identical? This may improve the life expectancy and reliability of an otherwise decent little engine.

Again, thanks to all for the support.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #147  
I have a friend who has a yanmar clone. He is the main reason I got mine. He replaces anything broken or even the least suspect with authentic yanmar parts. He has a yanmar starter and I believe a yanmar fuel pump so far on his clone. Knowing I could simply get yanmar parts made me feel better.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #148  
I have black smoke, so there is a sign of life, and as I crank it over, it generally speeds up as it warms, but it never catches or knocks from combustion.

Black smoke can indicate a restricted air intake. Make sure that is open first. After that I'd probably make sure there is enough fuel being delivered which, if not enough, could just be the result of a small amount of air on the feed side to the pump. Sometimes it's tricky to get it bled properly. Timing could be a problem but I would think that to be unlikely. It appears you have enough heat for combustion so that rules out a lot of other issues.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #149  
Thanks again. I'm going to check the valve clearances and also the cylinder and crankcase pressures to make sure I'm not getting a lack of compression in the cylinder. I think I'm good on fuel pressure, simply based on injector pattern.

I removed the aircleaner, so that should open the door for airflow. There is some smoke blowby into the air intake, and also some smoke coming up from the valve pushrods, which is odd. Hence why I'm checking crankcase pressure, compression and valve clearance.

Last edited:
   / Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #150  
I noted that there is a lot of crankcase blow-by (oil squirts out oil filler when recoil starter is pulled). I'm ordering piston/rings, head gasket, crankcase gasket and cranshaft oil seals just to be on the safe side before I tear it apart. Pretty sure the carbon build up will be ugly, just based on what was on the injector. Will post results on the outcome.