Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #151  
Just to give another update on the Apache. I ran it for 2hrs today. I figured this would be a test. I also put a load of 4500 on it for the whole time. All the temps remained constant to what I noted in previous posts and it was about 50 degrees today. I hope this thing works when I actually need, but so far so good.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #152  
So, I was at Princess Auto (the Canadian equivilent of Harbor Freight) and, besides having my iPhone stolen, I discovered they don't carry parts. Trying to order online has been quite an experience. Does anyone have a solid, trusted supplier in North America they could recommend?

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #153  
I have a friend who replaces things as they break with authentic yanmar parts. If you don't want to go that route Aurora generators is a Canadian seller of these yanmar clone generators. They have a very good supply of almost anything you could ever need. Diesel Generators by Aurora Generators.. Check them out on YouTube and on their website. They consider themselves the authority of knockoff yanmar and Chinese diesel generators. But back to your main question...they have a very good inventory and should have what you need. Can't complain about the prices either.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #154  
Thanks Rubberducky. They were one option, and there's a site on eBay that seem to sell a lot. Yanmar would be my preference, but they aren't nearby. Thanks again.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #155  
Apache Pic.jpg

Ran it again today for an hour with a 2000 watt load. No problems.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones
It is unlikely you will have trouble running light loads for short durations. I would continue run it for 2~4 hours at a time with a 4000~5000 watt load until you have 50 or 60 hours on it before I would have any confidence that it would serve trouble free for a prolonged power outage. I would do this with any genset regardless of brand in order to eliminate infant mortality failure.
Continue to monitor the oil filter for metallic particles until you feel you can trust this to serve days on end without issue.
90cummins

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #157  
I think you are right on the loads and duration. I need to find something better to use as a load bank. Today was just halogen lighting. I didn't feel like digging out the heater. Is there anything you can get that would be around a 4-5kw load made for this purpose. On a side note after I ran it I changed the oil again and not one shaving. Perhaps they all finally passed. Last oil change there was only a couple.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #158  
Another question for a Yanmar L100 or clone.
I have my generator in a shed and the exhaust connected by a flexible metal pipe to an outdoor pipe which goes straight up in the air terminating in a slight bend to stop the rain entering. The length of the pipe is about 14 feet with inside diameter of 1.73 inch (area = 2.36 square inch). Will this give to much backpressure for the engine? I have read that a high backpressure can lead to build up on the exhaust valves. Any views on this?:confused:

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #159  
In short - you're good to go.

A muffler would cause you the most backpressure. Then, diameter and length of your exhaust, and the number of bends it has, will also affect flow - thus back pressure. Because this is a naturally aspirated (non-turbo) diesel, you should be good with the length of the pipe as long as it's not restricted. You can also try wrapping it with exhaust tape, which will keep the temps up. This helps scavenging.

If you look at the length of travel car exhausts have from manifold to tailpipe, and then add in the catalytic converter(s), muffler(s), resonator and bends, you'll see that are in good shape with your generator's rather simple 14' length. Also, note that tailpipes (before expanded tips) are much smaller in diameter than the output diameter at the manifold. This helps to keep the velocity up in the exhaust pipe as the gases cool and condense. Those who choose to modify their exhausts by increasing the diameter are not necessarily improving the performance of their engines, especially at the idle to 75% throttle level.

Sorry for the long answer.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #160  
I'm not sure about the back-pressure issue, but I have a similar set-up and noticed water condensation being a problem in the exhaust pipe, to the point where you can hear it "bubbling" when the generator is running. I suppose this is mostly due to it not running long enough to get the pipe hot enough to evaporate off the condensation. Either that or I need a small drain hole installed before the pipe goes verticle.

Last edited: