Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #161  
I have a ten foot section of flexible stainless I use if I need to run the generator with the garage door closed. I have used this setup on my previous westerbeke I took out of my boat before I sold it. It was just too big for the garage and my shed is packed so no dice there. But I never had a problem when the extension was on. Additionally I had about the same length of pipe in my boat for the exhaust so I think you won't have any issues. Perhaps the condensation like previously noted but my pipe was always horizontal.

What kind of generator do you have Volp?

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #162  
I have a ten foot section of flexible stainless I use if I need to run the generator with the garage door closed. I have used this setup on my previous westerbeke I took out of my boat before I sold it. It was just too big for the garage and my shed is packed so no dice there. But I never had a problem when the extension was on. Additionally I had about the same length of pipe in my boat for the exhaust so I think you won't have any issues. Perhaps the condensation like previously noted but my pipe was always horizontal.

What kind of generator do you have Volp?

Do you really think you and your family are safe from CO with a 10ft length of pipe stuck out the garage door?

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #163  
Has anybody mentioned the listerengine.com site ? All kinds of real and clone Lister, Petter, Yanmar, Redstone , Junfru etc info

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #164  
Do you really think I would create an unsafe situation for anyone in the house?? Granted advice and caution are always welcome.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #165  
Thanks for the comments, especially Ottawa King for his detailed answer :thumbsup:. Like Ilikeurtractor I have sometimes heard a bubbling sound that could be condensation in the tube :confused:.
I think that I will try wrapping it with exhaust tape to increase the temperature inside. Possibly also install a drain tap.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #167  
Do you really think I would create an unsafe situation for anyone in the house?? Granted advice and caution are always welcome.

Among other qualifications. I perform calibration on gas test equipment. And perform gas testing in confined spaces on nuclear power sites.
I can assure you that trying your stunt on even an ordinary construction site will result in stiff fines and a work stoppage .
Purchase a chain, padlock and a transfer switch instead of being so cheap and hazardous.
Ever check the newspaper after power outages? Always funerals for families who gassed themselves with a generator.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #168  
I really hope you are not calling me cheap and hazardous considering I don't know you from a hole in the wall. Secondly I prefer the the interlock kit. Why limit yourself to only 10 circuits? Next; the methodology of running this indoors was to run it at my house while it was for sale in the garage with a ten foot pipe. It happened to be raining hard a few times. I will never try to argue what is safe and what you can "get away with" when it comes to CO2. I find it interesting that this 25kw gen ran hundreds of hours sitting right under the salon in my boat with nothing more than a 10 foot run of exhaust pipe before it dumped into the engine exhaust line. Just about every boat out there (40ft and up)has the gen under the salon for weight distribution and to be in the engine room. I would say the insulation between the floor and the engine room isn't even close to being the same as my wall separating the house from the garage. Advice and comments are are always welcomed, but don't be rude.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #169  
Not too worried about CO2, it's CO that is the silent killer.
Lots of dead and/or mysteriously ill people on boats. The maritime regulations are actually quit strict if adhered to.
As for those people who put price ahead of thier own, thier family, their friends and others. Yes I call them cheap.
A meter base transfer switch or a transfer switch between the meter and the dustribution panel is what I was thinking of.
I ask people all the time why they install a little bitty four circuit transfer panel. They keep telling me " it's all they need". Beats me why they have "making do" as a priority when all the circuits can be energized. No use stumbling around in the dark. Switch off the water heater, stove and clothes dryer if the gen set isn't up to the task. Doesn't cost any extra to do the job right.
Again the back pages of the newspapers during and after storms carry stories of ill or sick people who gassed themselves during power outages. Finding generators in garages and basements is all too common. Or even close to doors or windows cracked open to pass power cords through.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #170  
I really hope you are not calling me cheap and hazardous considering I don't know you from a hole in the wall. Secondly I prefer the the interlock kit. Why limit yourself to only 10 circuits? Next; the methodology of running this indoors was to run it at my house while it was for sale in the garage with a ten foot pipe. It happened to be raining hard a few times. I will never try to argue what is safe and what you can "get away with" when it comes to CO2. I find it interesting that this 25kw gen ran hundreds of hours sitting right under the salon in my boat with nothing more than a 10 foot run of exhaust pipe before it dumped into the engine exhaust line. Just about every boat out there (40ft and up)has the gen under the salon for weight distribution and to be in the engine room. I would say the insulation between the floor and the engine room isn't even close to being the same as my wall separating the house from the garage. Advice and comments are are always welcomed, but don't be rude.

Don't you mean CO ? CO2 is sodiun bicarb. CO is carbon monoxide