Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones
Skyco
You're fortunate that you have such good luck with them but as a precaution I would check to ensure the outlets are properly wired to be on the safe side.
Also what brand and KW are your china gensets.
Tim

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #12  
I have a chinese diesel generator with the yanmar clone engine. I have had trouble with it since the day I got it. The motor starts easily and runs, but it spudders and shakes every few seconds (like a gasoline engine missing a spark every few seconds). It also blows white smoke and sometimes even pops like a small backfire.

I have contacted the seller and they shipped me a new fuel pump, new injector, and new fuel filter.

I installed these parts and it made no difference.
I have changed the fuel 2x with different diesel and checked for other obvious problems.

If I push the governor lever a little, the engine slows RPM and smooths out.

Could a bad head gasket be the issue, or a valve issue?

I have another carrol stream engine (exactly the same) and it runs perfect.

Today I swapped out the shims under the pump...the carrol stream engine has a single thin copper shim and the generator has a single thick one....with the thin shim in the generator, it ran slower and a little smoother, but it would only generate about 100 volts (due to the slower speed)

I know I don't have water in the fuel, and I am starting to think maybe I have something wrong with the oil pressure switch...I will hook a test light to see if the solenoid is keeping power the entire time...the tech guy said I should hook a 12v+ wire to the solenoid to test it while it is running.

I am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions....such as valve clearance, the spacers on the injector, pump shims, etc.

TIA
Jason

How many hours are on the engine??
It sounds like mine did when the cam bearing was failing.
Check the oil filter/strainer for contamination, if clean proceed as follows.
How thick are the shims?
Each injection pump needs to be shimmed to each engine for correct timing.
Installing the thinner shim advanced the timing and the fact that the engine speed slowed down suggests that the timing is far too advanced, more shims are needed.
Install both shims and give it a try.
My generator ended up with .040 to .050 in shims for correct timing.
I initially set my timing by the start of delivery method and then ran the engine and added load using a heater I checked & recorded engine speed using the HZ function on my multimeter.
60 HZ equals 3600rpm.
Starting with a 0.010 shim I checked the engine performance by loading it until the HZ dropped to 56, I then recorded the load & speed.
I kept adding shims until the power peaked then started to fall off, I then removed 1 shim for maximum power.
Timing is fairly easy but time consuming the first time using the start of delivery method.
Engine speed is adjusted by loosing the (2) 10mm bolts that secure the throttle lever and rotating it CW or CCW to obtain 3600 rpm.
Hope this helps

Tim

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #14  
The engine has 18 hours on it
I changed the oil at 5 hours and it has only a few small flakes of aluminum in it.
I checked the screen yesterday and it was very clean

I connected a wire (12v+) to the fuel solenoid on the pump and it made no difference and checked the factory wire with a meter and it held around 13 volts steady.

This motor has only one very thick shim on the pump. My other motor has only one very thin shim and it runs perfectly.

I tried only the thin shim and it ran slower. I didn't stack both together...I didn't think my other thin shim would make much difference...it was about as thin as a sheet of paper.

Where can I purchase these shims? I have contacted several guys that sell the pumps on ebay and they have responded that they don't carry the shims.

The company I bought the generator from is in Canada and makes me pay inflated shipping costs on the "Warranty" parts...so I am out $50 on parts that didn't fix the motor already....but I am willing to try adding a shim or two to see if it makes a difference.

I will post a video later today on youtube and get a link...last night I took a video of how it blows smoke while running and the sound it makes. The video doesn't really sound like it does, but you can hear it stumbling about 2x/second as it runs.

I have read more about the injector and I don't think that is my problem, I disconnected the low oil wire and I have also eliminated an electrical problem with the shutoff solenoid......my only options are pump timing or valve problems....but why would valve clearance issues make smoke?

I am ready to buy some shims and give it a try...let me know where I could find them.

TIA for all the help.

Jason

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #15  
the audio doesn't give the sound like the motor is making...it almost sounds like it is running fine in the video....but it is not.

YouTube - ‪Yanmar clone generator‬‏

The motor is stumbling and shaking and blowing white smoke. The temperature today is around 90 degrees and the motor was running for about 10 minutes before I took the video.

The control panel is out to get easier access to the pump...and the hour meter broke last week at 18 hours too.

I would use a piece of gasket material as a shim and install it along with the orginal shim. The fact that the other engine has a thin shim means nothing.
Due to machining tollerences various shims are needed to precisely set the timing.
Give it a try and make a note of how it sounds & operates. if it sounds better I would install another and possibly another untill you go past the sweet spot.
Using a gasket for test purposes will not harm anything.
Tim

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #17  
it seems that the copper fuel pump gaskets are not available through any source online for less than $30. I found the entire gasket set for about $40 shipped and figured that my time and effort in making a gasket from gasket material was not worth the time.

When the gasket set comes, I will try them on the motor and post the results.

Jason

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #18  
I got the new gasket set and it only had one copper fuel pump gasket. It was about as thick as a business card, so was the original one on the generator.

I installed both shims and it ran worse. I ended up putting the original shim back.

If I slow the engine down (by turning the governor plate)...the engine slows down to where it is putting out 100 volts, it runs perfect and produces no smoke.

If I try to raise the rpm back to where it needs to be, it runs rough, pops, smokes, etc.

I am going to check the valve clearance this weekend and make sure they are within specs.

I am looking for some of the thin shims, just can't find anywhere that sells them...any suggestions?

TIA
Jason

When I rebuilt my engine I recall that it also ran poorly with no load, smoke, skip, stumble ect.
After I wired the generator so I could put a load on it the engine ran better as it warmed up loaded 50% or more.

There is a procedure for checking the timing but it can also be set by putting a resistive load on it such as a heater and letting it warm up & stabilize.
Use a Fluke multimeter that can read HZ to monitor & set the engine rpm.
Starting with the original shim load it up to full capacity if possible then adjust the engine speed for 60~62 HZ making note of the exhaust & sound.
Stop the engine and add a pump shim and repeat the load test, if the engine speed increased and/or sounded better then proceed to add shims until the engine speed drops.
If you need additional shims make them out of paper or thin gasket material.
The goal is to find the timing sweet spot.
Note; this engine can produce more than 10 hp if the fuel is not limited and also smoke like an old over fueled dodge Cummins.
The fuel limiter needs to be adjusted so the engine will produce full electrical power then start to droop with no smoke when electrically loaded beyond it's rated capacity.

Hope this helps
Tim

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #20  
I purchased more shims from the aurora company. The shims I ordered are
.004" and I ordered 3 of them. The original shim is .015 and the other shim I received in a gasket kit is .020".

I stacked two .004 shims and the motor ran rough, smoked, etc.
I added a third .004 shim and it made no difference.

I can rotate the throttle/gov mount to change the engine speed and if I slow the engine down, it runs smooth and stops smoking..but of course it isn't putting out 60hz of power.

I am going to check the valve clearance this weekend and see where that is.

Is there anything else that could be the trouble??? I can't figure out whey it doesn't want to run right at full throttle.

TIA
Jason