Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #251  
I bought a wood splitter a while ago and it has the 186F diesel on it too, seems to run OK and can split redgum at basically idle. WP_20160409_13_05_09_Pro.jpg

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #252  
Yeah, diesels shine at low RPM. That was another noticeable difference on the mower. I usually engage mower deck clutches at low RPM to minimize the wear-and-tear on them. Gas mowers can stall out doing this. The diesel just puffs a small cloud of black smoke and the blades come up to speed (albeit low) almost instantly.

Was the log-splitter a retro-fit, or a factory (China?) build?

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #253  
Was the log-splitter a retro-fit, or a factory (China?) build?

Yeah Chinese thing. For the extra $150 I went with the diesel over a gasser. Uses way less fuel and powers along at low RPM which means a little less noise plus I'm a diesel nut... :laughing:

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #254  
Nice. Reliability should better too. For equipment that only gets used seasonally/occasionally diesel makes the most sense. My brother has a diesel payloader, dozer, and two gas dump trucks that have done a lot of sitting over the last 20 years and get started about once a year - at least the ones that are attempted. I think the loader and dozer have fuel that is over 10 years old in them. They fire right up and run great. Nobody goes near the dump trucks for fear of points and old fuel/carburetor issues.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #255  
Nice. Reliability should better too. For equipment that only gets used seasonally/occasionally diesel makes the most sense.

Yeah it only gets run mainly in winter and sometimes in summer only if I'm bored :D but fuel consumption is minimal, has used about 1 litre for approx 2 1/2 hours of run time.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones
I'm currently in the process of repairing another 10hp Yanmar diesel clone in a generator that has 220 hours on the meter.
It is identical the one I wrote about earlier in this forum.
It was purchased for home backup and was being used on a job for 3 weeks running skil saws, sawzalls, a compressor and battery chargers.
It had run fine for weeks approx. 8 to 10 hrs. a day when it started skipping, blue smoke and various noises.
When I received it I tried to start it but it appeared to be low on compression and would not fire.
I pulled the oil filter screen and it was full of junk & sludge.
The owner said he wasn't aware of the filter because the manual got ruined in his cellar due to moisture where the generator is stored.
Further inspection and details of how the owner operated it indicates it may have been wet stacked from running in the winter with not enough load to warm it up.
I removed the engine & disassemble it and found 3 patches of rust on the cylinder wall but no scoring.
The exhaust port was wet from running with little load.
I removed the piston & rings which look good with no obvious defects along with all other components.
There were some deposits in the bottom of the crankcase but nothing serious.
I remove the valves from the head and saw some pitting on the exhaust seat so I cut new valve seats with my Neway seat cutter. I resurfaced the head on my granite surface plate using 220 wet/dry carbide paper.
Cylinder was honed which removed the patches of rust but pits in the cylinder wall remain which should be ok.
New parts installed are;
Piston rings, pto main bearing, rod bearing oil filter screen and various gasket & seals.
The block is built and the head is on and I'm trying to torque the flywheel nut to 150lbft of torque but I don't have the moxie anymore and I need to find some young muscle to help.
Further discussions with the owner indicate that he has no idea how much load he can put on it.
During an outage in the winter he basically runs the circulators for his hot water boiler (heat) and some lights which may total 1kw at best.
Will update as progress is made.
90cummins

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #257  
A 2' length of pipe is all the muscle you need.

A 2' length of pipe is all the muscle you need.
The problem is that I need to hold the flywheel & engine and torque at the same time.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #259  
Hi guys - new member. I found this forum while looking up info on my Chinese-made 186F clone welder-generator. I picked up the inoperative 5500W genset at a yard sale for $40. There wasn't really too much wrong with it - inoperative key start turned out to be a blown 30A inline fuse; bad battery; broken recoil start reel; air filter element with holes in it large enough for lizards and sticks to flow into the engine. Between eBay and Amazon, less than $100 has solved all those issues - and the engine now starts right up and operates smoothly with no visible smoke after the initial start. One question I have is with the compression release: Is this just an aid to starting with the pull cord - or is it supposed to be used when electric starting? I am using this genset as a backup charging system to the battery bank on our off-grid solar power system. Just wondered if my auto-start system needs to address the compression release(?) Thanks for any guidance!

It's needed when using the recoil however I've found that the starters on some of the clones do not have the power that OEM starters have and you may need to use it if it doesn't want to crank over easily when using the electric starter.
90cummins

Last edited: