Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #71  
After dismantling the alternator I found that it had AVR and not just a capacitor for voltage regulation! The schematic in the manual showed a different alternator!:eek:
I have now ordered a new AVR.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #72  
After dismantling the alternator I found that it had AVR and not just a capacitor for voltage regulation! The schematic in the manual showed a different alternator!:eek:
I have now ordered a new AVR.

Does your generator have brushes? I would check those while you are at it. They are cheap and easy to service. If you need manuals for these Yanmar clones sent me a pm with an email address.:thumbsup:

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #73  
Thanks for the input Randall.
I have now checked the brushes which looks OK. I already have a Yanmar manual but thanks anyway.:D
Still waiting for the new AVR.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #74  
Thanks for the input Randall.
I have now checked the brushes which looks OK. I already have a Yanmar manual but thanks anyway.:D
Still waiting for the new AVR.

Where did you order your parts?

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #75  
Last edited:
   / Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #76  
I have now received the AVR from China. The capacitor had received a dent during shipping so I was a bit concerned about the function. Mailed the seller who suggested that I tried it anyway. I mounted it in the alternator and it worked. Voltage could be adjusted to European standard 230 volts. Put the generator together again (lots of bolts in a soundproofed generator). Started the generator again. No output power!:ashamed: Disassembled the generator again. Found one loose cable!:eek: Put the generator together once again and now it worked OK!:thumbsup: I will now run it a lot during the next few weeks to test it. If there are any problems within three months, the seller promised to send me a new AVR.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #77  
Well, I finally completed the rebuild on my 186f diesel. The sudden loss of compression was due to failure of one of the lands between the piston rings. After a lot of research, it appears that the failure may also be related to the fact that my engine was not originally fitted with valve stem seals. This resulted in oil leaking into the combustion chamber via the valve stems, causing heavy carbonisation around the intake and exhaust valves and fuel injection nozzle. Apparently this condition, combined with continuing introduction of oil into the combustion chamber is the source of the piston failure. Well, I fitted new Viton valve stem seals, honed the bore, fitted a new piston, rings, gudgeon and conrod (all bearings and seals, bore, valves and guides were still well within service limits), decoked everything, ultrasonically cleaned the injection nozzle and reassembled the whole thing with a new crankcase gasket. Filled it with BMW spec LL4 5w30 fully synthetic oil and it starts and runs better than it did when new - not a hint of smoke and very smooth (for a one lung diesel!). Glad my generator has an electric starter though, the compression is so high now that Tarzan would have a job starting it manually via the rip cord.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #78  
Congratulations David!:D
It sounds so easy when you explain the rebuilding of the engine. But we all know that it takes a lot of experience and the right tools to make it look easy.:thumbsup:

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #79  
David,
I just ordered the Aurora Diesel 6500 wt.
Don't know if it will have stem seals but if not.....can the ones you speak of be ADDED. I know it is not easy when the head is mounted but it can be done.
Thanks

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #80  
Sometimes you think that you just cannot win! The AVR I mounted worked OK for twenty hours and then the capacitor blow up:(.
I had a new AVR that I bought from UK. I put it in and it worked for about ten hours and suddenly there there was no voltagage again and this time the alternator was really hot.
A new AVR from China is on its way but I am not shure that will fix it. Maybe there is something else wrong with the alternator?:confused:
Any advice on what other things to check?:(