Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #81  
David,
I just ordered the Aurora Diesel 6500 wt.
Don't know if it will have stem seals but if not.....can the ones you speak of be ADDED. I know it is not easy when the head is mounted but it can be done.
Thanks

Boeing, yes the Viton seals can be easily installed, but it is easier to yank the head to do it - the head gasket is solid copper, so it can usually be re-used without any problems and I have previously also re-used low hour exhaust and air intake gaskets without any issues.

A few more tips-

1. If your engine is not fitted with an hour meter, fit one - they are cheap and easy to fit and provide good insurance to facilitate regular servicing and maximise engine life. I bought a quartz/mechanical unit for $10 delivered off ebay, which works fine and only needs to be connected to the 12v DC terminals. A better alternative is the Curtis 700 series, which can also be purchased off ebay for around $30 delivered - I have bought one of these to fit to my Honda 11kva generator.

2. If your Chinese generator unexpectedly turns itself off immediately after being started, check the oil pressure switch. The oil warning lamp is actually an LED and on my unit, one of the connections had come loose due to dodgy soldering at the factory, so I was getting a switch off, but no warning light to indicate the reason. The original oil pressure warning switch fitted to these engines is a very long and relatively expensive unit which does not stand up to vibration well. Rather than replace mine with a genuine unit from China which sells for around $25 plus postage, I converted mine to use an 8psi Echin conventional switch (suits early Chryslers). The conversion required installation of a Narva fused relay, so all up the cost was around $25 but I saved the cost of postage and now have a far more reliable unit that should the pressure switch fail on again, can be replaced for around $5 from any auto parts store. Tridon TPS033 is the equivalent to the Echin switch I used.

Anders, check the 12v output on your generator. The terminals inside the back of my brushed alternator (4 pin molex type connector) were pushed in, causing bad contact, which supplied unregulated dc to the battery charging/exciter circuit. This could result in your generator overheating/AVR problem. There was also an inline glass fuse in the lines out from the molex, which was embalmed with electrical tape and could not be spotted unless you knew it was there.

Last edited:
   / Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #82  
Thanks David!
I will follow your advice but it will have to wait until the autumn as I am back in Sweden now and the generator is on Mallorca.:eek:

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #83  
David,
AS I recall.....(45 years)....after removing the head I need a spring compressor to remove the valve springs retainer keys etc to install a stem seal. OR would you just take it to a machine shop (small engine repair shop) and have the seals installed? Would they HAVE seals there perhaps from some other application or do I need to find/purchase them in advance?
Thanks

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #84  
True, you do need a valve spring compressor to remove the valves easily, but even if you were to take the head to an engine repairer it is literally a 10 minute job to pop them out, fit the seals and reinstall the valves. I would definitely get hold of the seals first because there is nothing like turning up and thinking that the job will be finished, only to find that they don't have the parts you need. I looked at using seals from the Yanmar L100 but decided against them as they were rubber, whereas the ones I used are Viton.

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #85  
David,
WHERE did you get the Vitons?...... If the Aurora doesn't come with them Aurora will not have them available in parts. I plan on ordering an oil screen, air and fuel filter etc. for the new Aurora 6500 open frame diesel.

Next thought.....IF I add these stem seals and have an unrelated problem later can they VOID my warranty over the seals?:mad:

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #86  
You have a PM in relation to the seals. Maybe Aurora's warranty is better in the US than some of the Chinese Generator dealers here - mine (a major statewide tool supply company) actually dropped the entire line within 12 months of me buying the generator and could not advise me on where to source parts.
I guess the question for your dealer is "Will my warranty be voided if I find that valve stem seals have not been factory fitted to my generator and have the seals fitted to prevent engine failure myself?"

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #87  
Links to the Aurora Generator User Handbook and information about hour meters suitable for air cooled diesel generators have now been added here 186F Diesel

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #88  
my hour meter gave up the ghost and I replaced it with a digital back lit LCD that give a frequency in HZ reading and Voltage reading while running and the hours while stopped. 3 in One Hour Meter

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #89  
Randall,
At the bottom of the E-bay ad that you enclosed (about the Hour meter) there are VITON O rings listed......are any of these usable for the OIL drain/oil filter tube thing on the Aurora?
Thanks,
Rob.......next Monday
:D

/ Forum for air cooled diesel engines and clones #90  
Randall,
At the bottom of the E-bay ad that you enclosed (about the Hour meter) there are VITON O rings listed......are any of these usable for the OIL drain/oil filter tube thing on the Aurora?
Thanks,
Rob.......next Monday
:D

Rob, I do not know. I e mailed the fellow that runs this E bay store and he is very helpful. Send him and email and ask him which o ring works. :thumbsup: