tire loading or 3pt ballast

/ tire loading or 3pt ballast
Is filling to 50% a good option.....or does it cause to much sloshing???

/ tire loading or 3pt ballast #12  
My opinion on filling to 50%: Make sure to put tubes into the tires. The additional presence of oxygen in the air above the liquid ballast would seem to provide a perfect environment for corrosion. (Humid air in a continuously wetted environment) Having a tube would prevent that.

50% fill would give a smoother ride than 75%, because of the larger air cushion. The tractor won't be more stable with 50% fill as opposed to 75% in a static situation.

If it were me I would put the rear blade on, and see how that worked. Filled tires will be a nuisance to change by yourself. I'm all for cheap, and am possibly the cheapest person in the Yanmar forum in terms of what I think is a reasonable price for something, but filled tires doesn't seem like a good match for what you want. Wheel weights would swap more easily and safely between your different sets of tires.

Since you're talking about using it in the snow, you're going to need something other than straight water, which I'm able to get away with. That means you shouldn't just drain it onto the ground, whether it's windshield washer fluid (methanol) or antifreeze. Rimguard (beet juice) would be fine to drain, if you didn't mind the juicy mess. Having said all that, I would suggest trying to change the tires by yourself and then decide on your own; you'll know a lot more about your situation than some random guy on the internet blabbing on and on, like me. :laughing:

You may decide that if you filled your tires and added wheel weights you don't need to change them anyway. The little bit I've used turf tires in mud/soft soil I was disappointed, but even a single impromptu tire chain helped significantly. If your property has areas where you need to do a lot of work in mud, you'll want something other than turf tires. You know your needs best, and may be forced to experiment and discover what works best for you.

/ tire loading or 3pt ballast #13  
id' fill to 75% just for the weight alone..

soundguy

/ tire loading or 3pt ballast #14  
On the YM240 (YM2000) I've run 50% fill since I put on a ROPS. I've never noticed slosh or any inertia effect. 50% seems to be the 'sweet spot' considering the oversize rear tires.

As noted 50% fill rides a little softer than when it was 75% (entire rim submerged). I reduced the tire ballast because the ROPS added 65 lbs and it was already sluggish going up long and increasingly steep grades here in 7 or 8th gear, so less overall weight improved performance. I would go back to 75% fill if I needed more traction to pull the disc or something.

In fact I just did increase the fill from 60% to maximum, 75%, on the little YM186D to set it up for discing. But then the steering broke before I noticed if this improved traction. I'll report results after its running again.

These are tube-type tires. I think tubes are essential unless the rim is submerged all the time.

/ tire loading or 3pt ballast #15  
284 thanks man! :thumbsup: