Broken Pinion drive 186D

/ Broken Pinion drive 186D #1  

jerrybob

Tractor
yanmar 186D....JD LT180....DR Brush Cutter
Well......did something really dumb and paid a price. Was lifting some treated pilings about 15ft. long with my clamp on forks. Long story short.......lifted the load too high.....lifted the rear tires off the ground....lost the load......came down real hard on front end and sheared off my pinion drive where it connects to the drive yoke. Scared the heck out of me.......almost turned my 186d on its side. Once I realized that my 4 wheel drive no longer worked......opened boot and found damage. Called Hoye......new pinion drives are no longer available.....used drives can be found but are very costly.....somewhere in the $600 range. Took the pinion drive to a very good machine shop. They cut off end.....pinned new piece....machined end better than new....charged me $120.
A couple hours later.......all pieces reinstalled.......works like a champ! Life is good:thumbsup: While working on front end and since I had to drain gear oil.....figured I would change right front knuckle seal since I had a small leak. Ordered new seal and collar from Hoye......great folks to deal with.......re-assembled all parts......couldn't get everything to come together properly.....took out new seal......broke new seal......ordered another from Hoye......waited a few days.....installed 2nd seal.......after an hour or so of scratching my head and wondering why things just would not go together.........realized that I hadn't removed old collar......slapped myself three times for being stupid......removed old collar......installed new parts......tightened up everything.......no leaks....life is good again:thumbsup::thumbsup: Moral of story.......don't do really dumb things your tractor isn't designed for and when all else fails.....use common sense!
Happy tractoring :laughing::laughing:

Last edited:
   / Broken Pinion drive 186D #3  
Hey jerrybob did you take pics? I'm sure everybody would like to see how you fixed it.

/ Broken Pinion drive 186D
Pete......Harbor Hydraulics in Aberdeen. Not to far from you! They do good work. A buddy of mine who rebuilds small crawlers has used them often.
Shawn.....sorry....I should have taken pictures but didn't. I can tell you.....the damage on the pinion shaft was on the end....where it fits into the drive yoke and has a hole for the pin. I broke the pin hole in half. The fix was to cut that entire end off.....pin on a new piece and machine it to specs...including re-drilling a new pin hole. Hopefully.....there won't be a next time....but...if there is.....I will take pictures.